Warning toxic antifreeze

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
I am trying to post this about boating safety. I bought some RV and Marine antifreeze last night from Walmart. The kind used in the water lines inside an RV or boat for the fresh water systems. The bottle says "do not ingest. If ingested call poison control." This stuff is poison. I will take this back and find the kind that says nontoxic on the bottle. I thought it might be important to tell folks that just because it says RV and MARINE antifreeze evidently doesn't mean it's non toxic anymore. Please read the label if you intend to use it in a fresh water system used for drinking or cooking. Tom

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Warning toxic antifreeze

That stuff must be for the engine cooling system, Dude. I can't believe that anyone would sell poison for a drinking water system.

matt167

Captain

What color is it?
What kind of jug?

Only 2 kinds of RV anti freeze that I know of. Alcohol based and polypropylene glycol based. Color varies from pink to red depending on what it is, but always contained in a clear round jug.

If it contains ethylene glycol, it is very dangerous and should be reported if it does say RV/marine antifreeze on it. It's not uncommon for places overseas to send us toxic stuff tho.

QC

Supreme Mariner

It's not uncommon for places like china to send us toxic stuff tho. And Walmart turned into Chinamart years ago.
China can't determine what we allow into our RVs or our mouths. Careful with unsubstantiated bashing, whether it be a country or a corporation. We don't do that here. Thanks :)

bigdee

Commander

If it says for potable water you are ok. Propylene glycol is harmless unless you ingest LARGE amounts of it....it is used as a laxative!!!! That stuff is used in many food products although but it is food grade rated by the fda.

matt167

Captain

China can't determine what we allow into our RVs or our mouths. Careful with unsubstantiated bashing, whether it be a country or a corporation. We don't do that here. Thanks :)

I was speaking of the unregulated products coming from over seas where toxic's have been known to have slipped thru. Like the childrens toys with high lead levels, or the recent Halloween costumes that were banned right off the ship for the same thing. A lot of stuff should be watched closely these days.

I will edit my post to comply.

oldjeep

Admiral

Um - yeah. Don't swig a bottle of RV antifreeze. Non toxic is a relative thing

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Just a thought, wouldn't it be better "blow out" fresh water lines used for consumption?

QC

Supreme Mariner

I was speaking of the unregulated products coming from over seas where toxic's have been known to have slipped thru. Like the childrens toys with high lead levels, or the recent Halloween costumes that were banned right off the ship for the same thing. A lot of stuff should be watched closely these days.

I will edit my post to comply.
All good Matt, thanks for understanding. But I am still confused since this product was actually labeled as toxic ;)

oldjeep

Admiral

Just a thought, wouldn't it be better "blow out" fresh water lines used for consumption?

You would think so, since you only put that stuff in the drain lines of an RV so that you don't get the waste tank funk coming up past the trap - the water supply lines get drained.

Petty Officer 1st Class

Common sense isn't so common anymore. For instance, Bought My wife a curling iron the other day while I was at the store and noticed on box it said "For external use only" Wonder what dumb@ss actually is at fault for that warning.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Take hazard warnings with a grain of salt. Have you read the warning on a fishing rod lately?

“This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer, and birth defects and other reproductive harm.”

oldjeep

Admiral

Take hazard warnings with a grain of salt. Have you read the warning on a fishing rod lately?

“This product contains a chemical known to the state of California to cause cancer, and birth defects and other reproductive harm.”

Does the fishing rod also have a label for external use only?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Common sense isn't so common anymore. For instance, Bought My wife a curling iron the other day while I was at the store and noticed on box it said "For external use only" Wonder what dumb@ss actually is at fault for that warning.
I think the body area problem was with the bolded word above....just a guess

tpenfield

Staff member

I am trying to post this about boating safety. I bought some RV and Marine antifreeze last night from Walmart. The kind used in the water lines inside an RV or boat for the fresh water systems. The bottle says "do not ingest. If ingested call poison control." This stuff is poison. I will take this back and find the kind that says nontoxic on the bottle. I thought it might be important to tell folks that just because it says RV and MARINE antifreeze evidently doesn't mean it's non toxic anymore. Please read the label if you intend to use it in a fresh water system used for drinking or cooking. Tom

Well, eventhough it is of the non-toxic kind . . . it is not the sort of stuff you want to drink. . . . It only looks like pink lemonade. Now if you did ingest it . . .. who do you think you should call? Weight watchers?

So, those are possible answers to your questions and concerns, and why the label states those things.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

I know a lot of boaters don't know much about RV and Marine antifreeze but people with RVs have been using the stuff, for years to winterize their RVs and we have always depended on it to be nontoxic and to be used in the fresh water systems in the RVs. Now you tell me why they would label antifreeze that is supposed to be used in a motor or engine as "RV and Marine antifreeze" if it is meant to be used in an engine it is just plain old engine antifreeze. DUH

oldjeep

Admiral

I know a lot of boaters don't know much about RV and Marine antifreeze but people with RVs have been using the stuff, for years to winterize their RVs and we have always depended on it to be nontoxic and to be used in the fresh water systems in the RVs. Now you tell me why they would label antifreeze that is supposed to be used in a motor or engine as "RV and Marine antifreeze" if it is meant to be used in an engine it is just plain old engine antifreeze. DUH

I'm pretty familiar with RV's and honestly I've never heard of anyone putting it in their fresh water supply.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think I have this all figured out. We should require all fluids and maintenance items to literally be edible. Belts, hoses, tires, Oil, All of it! Think about it: NO MORE HAZARDOUS WASTE WHATSOEVER. Done. How did we all miss this? Brings a whole new meaning to Organic Brake Pads now doesn't it ;)