Weber Carb conversion

Eric Skarf

Recruit
I'm rebuilding a Volvo AQ130 four cylinder and have decided to trash my old dual solex single barrel carbs, basically because they performed like $h!+ and pushed way too much fuel(I was averaging 2 mpg before I started the rebuild). So I think I'm gunna get a weber single carburator(double barrel)conversion kit. here's a link to the kit. Can anybody give me any feedback as to how well this kit may work? Also, I was wondering if my high fuel consumption may be related to my using an electronic fuel pump rather than the mechanical one. Sorry, I don't know the gallons per hour on it. <br /><br />Thanks for any help,<br />Eric

calwldlif

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Weber Carb conversion

Unless the CFM of the Carter is<br />less than the Solex's I can't see<br />saving fuel.<br />I guess the Carter could atomize the fuel<br />better allowing smaller jets?<br />I don't see getting more performance<br />and less fuel use. They seem to me to be<br />at odds with each other.<br />I personnelly like Solex carbs. <br />I don't know what year the motor is/comp ratio?<br />I am very interested in your findings<br />with the new carter setup.<br />I hope you post back how it works out.<br />If I read your post right, you have also<br />rebuilt the motor?<br />I hope it works well for you.

Renken owner

Cadet
Re: Weber Carb conversion

As for downdraft carburettors the Weber IDF's are not the best ones. The Dell'orto DRLA's are much better (for automotive use at least).<br />They are used quite often for VW beetle tuning and can be found secondhand on Alfa Romeo boxer engines up to 1990.