96 Evenrude 115 , only reaches full throttle when engaging electric choke

mcer1757

Recruit
Im having trouble trouble shooting my outboard problem rough idle and delayed acceleration , rebuilt cylinder heads , replaced all below deck and above fuel hoses , new racor filter , new screen filter , rebuilt carbs , rebuilt vapor seporator float bowl , checked coil packs and cleaned all points , holding great fuel pressure if i push throttle all the way down it bogs the only way to jump on plain is slowly while holding the key in choking it once im up and running its great note Vro is capped i mix 50:1 and if i hold 2 fingers over the top starboard carb troat it idles higher

86 century

Ensign
Re: 96 Evenrude 115 , only reaches full throttle when engaging electric choke

Sound to me that you may have low or mid range jet pluged.
Or may be a sync problem.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Time to check the carbs again.

mcer1757

Recruit

Time to check the carbs again.

Thanks for the input !
It turned out to be the reed valves Ive replaced all of them and cleaned the carbs again idles smooth now and runs great .
But i have another problem , Im getting water in the # 3 cylinder Ive replaced the cylinder head ring seals and thermostat seals no change still getting water in
I had a leak down performed and there was no issues or mention nof gasket failure could it be the power head mounting gasket?How would I trouble shoot that ?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for the reply with the fix, we frequently never find out what the problem was.

Water can also enter through a leaking exhaust gasket

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like a prob with p/h base gasket or the exhaust hsg itself.

mcer1757

Recruit

Sounds like a prob with p/h base gasket or the exhaust hsg itself.

Keep you informed . Im ordering the power head base gasket and im doing the repair myself . It should go smooth if all the bolts come out in one piece , I will be borrowing a engine hoist for this procedure and my fishing partner will be assisting me . We will be sure to check the housing for rust buildup and cracks . Were looking forward to getting on the water as the oceanic striper are in route to our waters along the beaches and chesapeake bay