Good amount of water in gas - how best to deal with it?

newenglandguy

Seaman Apprentice
My boat got swamped due to a torrential rain on a weekend I couldn't be up to lake and water went over top of fuel tank. Pumped out one gallons of solid water and on the second gallon it was finally pulling fuel, but mixed with water. It was foamy, but after letting it set, looks like about 1/2 gallon of water and 1/2 gallon of fuel. How best to deal with tank as I think I have bout 10 more gallons in it.

Definitely getting a water separator installed before running any fuel into motor, but not sure how to proceed with remainder of tank. If I get all the water off the bottom, could I salvage the rest of the fuel?

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Good amount of water in gas - how best to deal with it?

My boat got swamped due to a torrential rain on a weekend I couldn't be up to lake and water went over top of fuel tank. Pumped out one gallons of solid water and on the second gallon it was finally pulling fuel, but mixed with water. It was foamy, but after letting it set, looks like about 1/2 gallon of water and 1/2 gallon of fuel. How best to deal with tank as I think I have bout 10 more gallons in it.

Definitely getting a water separator installed before running any fuel into motor, but not sure how to proceed with remainder of tank. If I get all the water off the bottom, could I salvage the rest of the fuel?

Ayuh,.... But I prefer to do it in a white plastic drum, insteada the boat's tank...
You can see what yer pumpin', vs. leavin'...

10 gallons ain't much,... Couple of 5 gal. pails will work for what yer doin'...

Pump it All out, 'n refill the tank with fresh gas, 'n buy an extra filter or 2 for yer new gas, 'n expect to change the 1st one rather soon...
Checkin' it's contents will tell ya if yer gettin' closer to clean fuel...

newenglandguy

Seaman Apprentice

Ayuh,.... But I prefer to do it in a white plastic drum, insteada the boat's tank...
You can see what yer pumpin', vs. leavin'...

10 gallons ain't much,... Couple of 5 gal. pails will work for what yer doin'...

Pump it All out, 'n refill the tank with fresh gas, 'n buy an extra filter or 2 for yer new gas, 'n expect to change the 1st one rather soon...
Checkin' it's contents will tell ya if yer gettin' closer to clean fuel...

Yeah - but what do ya do with the 10 gallons I pulled out?

Bondo

Staff member

Yeah - but what do ya do with the 10 gallons I pulled out?

Ayuh,... Let it settle in the 5 gallon pails, 'n pump the fuel off the top....

What's left is trash....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Freeze the buckets of fuel,dump off the good fuel,add some iso propel just for a safety factor and use it up!

Last edited:

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Assuming a built in tank with the pickup in the aft end:

Elevate the bow and allow the fuel to settle for at least a day. Remove the fuel sender/pickup and siphon the bulk of the water from the aft/bottom of the tank. Reassemble and install your water separator. With the bow still elevated, run the engine for several minute intervals, changing filters between runs. Empty used filters in clear containers to check for water content. Continue reusing the filters until water is at a minimum. Install a new filter and go boating.