First time pulling outdrive A couple questions, may be issues (maybe not?)

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Water in the u-joint bellows. Not a lot, but the bottom ridges were full, and a little poured out when I pulled the outdrive. U-joints still feel smooth. Lots of grease at gimbal bearing, and when alignment tool inserted and twisted, there is a very faint vibe/sound (bearing shot?).

I don't see holes or cracks in upper bellows, so I think the clamp has worked itself loose, and bellows still feels nice and healthy, but since off, and wet, will be replacing all that stuff.

More important, there are cracks on the top of the bearing housing that holds the u-joints. Not sure if these are actual stress cracks, or just natural flaws in the metal.

Any feedback on the gimbal bearing AND the housing in the picture?

IMAG0132.jpg

spoilsofwar

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: First time pulling outdrive A couple questions, may be issues (maybe not?)

No feedback on the gimbal bearing, but those cracks on the housing appear to be normal casting flaws.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Those are minor casting surface defects, not cracks, and cause no problems at all.

The bellows should be replaced as preventive maintenance at about 5 year intervals. Reach in and turn the gimbal bearing, if you feel any roughness (even minor roughness) replace the bearing. It's rust and the bearing will get worse.

scooper77515

I know bearings, and even though I would not call this "roughness", I don't like to hear ANYTHING when I spin em. Spins smoothly, but you can hear it like an old set of skateboard bearings.

Now, when I put the alignment tool in and spin it, THAT is the gimbal bearing, right?

I was hoping that those cracks were just metal casting flaws.

So, that upper bellows should be dry at all times, right?

And by the way, THANKS for all the quick responses, guys!!! :cool:

Don S

If you can "Spin" a gimbal bearing and hear it, it's shot.

Yes, the bellows should always be dry.

Now, when I put the alignment tool in and spin it, THAT is the gimbal bearing, right?

How can you put the alignment bar in the gimbal bearing and spin it ??????????????
If you took the gimbal bearing out, it's trash anyway.

scooper77515

I have not removed any bearings, yet.

Just pulled the outdrive and cleaned out the bellows, u-joint grease, and everything else I can see.

I then put the alignment tool in until it seated, and have spun it, and THAT is where I hear the slight noise. I was asking if THAT bearing is the gimbal bearing.

New to boats, but LOTS of auto and vacuum pump/compressor experience. Gimbal bearing is new to me.

Everything came apart easy, and alignment tool goes in pretty easy. FWIW.

Don S

Yes, the alignment bar goes through the Gimbal Bearing and into the coupler.

scooper77515

Then that is the one I am considering "shot".

Found a couple other issues I need to fix, while I am in there. Leaky hydraulic hose (been wondering where that random drop of oil has been coming from while parked!). Going to replace both while I am at it, and swap out both bellows, and all o-rings.