1995 XR6 150HP hard to start

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer
I just changed fuel lines and fuel filter and it seems to be a bit hard to start after it sits for a few days. Bulb is new, primes great but seems to take 10 minutes to get the carbs primed. It has been in the 40's in the morning so it's quite a bit cooler than it has been. Any ideas as to some problem or what I need to look at? Thanks in advance.

Dukedog

Captain
Re: 1995 XR6 150HP hard to start

This just start or has it always been this way? Some carb motors just don't like cold stuff. Might be as simple as changin' tha "starting" process................

Try this.

Trim all tha way under or down. Push enrichner and turn motor over at tha same time till it snorts, belches, or tries ta fire. Release tha key. Slightly, very slightly raise tha fast idle lever. Try to start without tha enrichner pushed. You may have ta bump tha enrichner one more time. As soon as it fires raise tha motor to level and let it warm up. A cold motor takes a lot of fuel to start tha first time............contrary ta what some may say.........

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

thanks--kinda just started--only difference is when I redid the fuel lines I took out the prefilter (I had one just after the bulb).
I have a hot foot so the fast idle is not engaged. i always have it trimmed all the way down (learned that one early on:) ) When it snorts I push the hot foot down just a bit and then it usually fires off. It never has fired right off out of the gate but the last two times it's been just like it is out of gas and just takes for ever to get the gas to the cards to even get a snort no matter if I push in the choke for a ten count, push it in 10 times, or whatever--but I think you may be right on the cold part--and it was pretty darn cold Saturday morning:)

Dukedog

Captain

Are you holding tha enrichner in while cranking? Or are you pushin' it in several times and /or holding for a few seconds, lettin' off then crankin'?

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

Are you holding tha enrichner in while cranking? Or are you pushin' it in several times and /or holding for a few seconds, lettin' off then crankin'?

have tried both at different times mostly the second way.

Dukedog

Captain

Just hard ta poiint ya in tha right direction on a computer. Does it do ok after tha first start of tha day? Could be nothing other than cold weather. Could be any one of few things if in fact there is somthing amiss. You might take tha "new" filter out of tha line just to try. Isn't it a small in-line, "directional" filter between tha pump and first carb? Have ya got an oem manual?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, Pump up the carbs until primer is full. Push down and hold hotfoot, to advance throttle. Crank motor, while holding choke button. When she starts release choke button and feather throttle until she is warm. You may need some more choke on cold mornings.

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the input guys. I really appreciate it.