How to use 2008 Mercury Side Mount Control Box

Russ42

Recruit
I have always had a tiller with my Mercury 40hp, and just bought a pontoon with 2008 Mecury Side Mount, connected to 2002 50hp Mercury ELPTO. I see it has a small hi throttle lever, and push to choke key (the push key I had on my tiller). How do I operate the control to start the motor? Put into hi throttle, and then leave it there going into Gear, or just to get started? And when driving, how do I increase throttle or slow down, just by using the Forward/N/Reverse main lever? On my tiller, I always had to increase throttle way beyond start, in order to start it and then bring it down to "trolling speed" before shifting into gear. A basic question, but didn't think to ask when I bought from private party who isn't reachable. I cant find a users manual online anywhere without purchasing.

Attachments

• 31kpST3VbLL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    31kpST3VbLL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 0

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to use 2008 Mercury Side Mount Control Box

The T handle has 3 functions: Power Trim/Tilt up and down buttons, gear shift selector, and throttle.

The lever on the rear top is the fast idle and the purpose is to do what you did on your tiller when you twisted it to START.

The ignition key is standard function but it also pushes in for the choke function. It isn't a conventional choke, but it gets the job done.

Starting is:

With the engine vertical squeeze the bulb till firm just like you did.

Raise the fast idle lever somewhat. After you start a few times you will know how much. Just like with your tiller, once the engine has warmed up for the day you probably won't need fast idle but that's up to the engine.

Turn the key one notch to put power to the engine "On"

Depress and hole for 5 seconds or so.

Twist the key to start and after 15 seconds roughly stop cranking and redo the bulb and the choke. Repeat till it starts.

After engine warms up adequately to remain running, push the fast idle all the way down.

Squeeze the handle (safety lever on bottom has to be squeezed or handle won't move) and briskly advance the T handle in the desired F or R direction about 15 degrees which will activate the shifter but not the throttle. Continue advancing the handle in either direction which will increase the throttle.

That's about it.

Additionally is a red lanyard for the engine kill switch. Switch must be in the safe position (lanyard is locked in place) to start engine.

I updated my control about a year ago and bought one of these. I love it.

Mark

M

Maxz695

The little lever on that commander 2000 is for hi idle starting in neutral. after starting drop it and the regular shifter handle engages the gears and then gives throttle all in one.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

The little lever on that commander 2000 is for hi idle starting in neutral. after starting drop it and the regular shifter handle engages the gears and then gives throttle all in one.

Isn't that what I just said?

Russ42

Recruit

Thanks to all for the info, just what I was looking for.