1968 Mercury 125hp with Thunderbolt ignition

Nutron

Seaman
Just a quick question. When I put the motor in gear I can hear a clunk! I was working on it in the garage and putting it in and out of gear I can hear the clunk, it's not overly loud but when I put in the water I can't hear it, is it normal or is there a problem. The other thing is I did drain the lower gear oil out and put the plugs in, I was told to drain and leave empty until the spring again. Is this also correct? Anyway I thought maybe the sound was due to no oil? And no I did not have it running at the time, I understand it is bad to run with not oil. Thanks for the help.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1968 Mercury 125hp with Thunderbolt ignition

I grew up with that model Merc, and it too made the same clunk. Didn't seem to hurt our engine. It's better to have gear lube in the lower unit for the winter. I would replace the lube and put it to bed for the winter.

Craig

Nutron

Seaman

Thanks, I bought this motor 2 months ago for my fishing boat and between the 135 Evinrude and this 125 Mercury 6 cylinder the Mercury would tear that Evinrude up. I can't believe the torque this motor has. It is one powerful motor. Thanks for the help.

Nutron

Seaman

I meant to say I replaced the Evinrude with this Mercury.

79Merc80

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ours was hanging on the back of a 1967 Glaspar Avalon 16'er. There wasn't ANYONE that we couldn't pull up on a single ski with 4 adults in the boat. It was /is an amazing engine. Ours ended up sucking a reed peddle and taking out cylinder #5. Still ran and pulled a skier while dragging a piston.