Water entry via crankshaft bellows?

RedTRex

Recruit
1989 Searay / 3.0 liter / Alpha 1<br />Just completed transom service Saturday to replace trim switches. took boat out today.<br /><br />taking lots of water on when running, appears water is coming in through drive bellows? could that be the case? and why? I did use bellows glue and pretty sure the bellows were seated in the grooves.<br /><br />just looking for some ideas before I rip it apart again. :rolleyes:

tommays

Admiral
Re: Water entry via crankshaft bellows?

IT really doesent matter at this point you need to get the drive OFF NOW before the rust dammage gets worse<br /><br /><br />It could be leaking anywere ? gasket set ect<br /><br /><br />tommays

RedTRex

Recruit

Roger - but still need to know what's leaking, like I said appears to be coming in through drive bellows, but, not sure.....<br /><br /><br />and now that I think about it, it would be immpossible for water to be shooting in through the transom plate where the drive shaft comes through as the gimbal bearing and seal would prevent that.<br /><br />So it's gotta be from the exhaust then.....?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

except for the fact that there are 2 holes in the housing above and below the gimble. did you "glue" the large rubber ring in place.could it be the shift bellows?

RedTRex

Recruit

I remember seein those slots...... are you talking about the giant o ring like thing? no I didn't glue that there.<br /> even so.....then I would have to have the drive bellows full of water for it to come in through the gimble bearing slots, True?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Roger - but still need to know what's leaking
No one can tell you exactly where it's leaking without being there and looking.<br />Bad seal between the drive and bellows, cracked housings, bad bellows, who knows.<br />But like tommays stated, you better get that drive off there soon before the rust causes even more damage.<br />Maybe this thread will give you an indication of what could happen if you don't pull the drive.<br /><br /> http://forums.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=24;t=017363

RedTRex

Recruit

Update:<br /> Finally had time to pull drive again (just got it off 10 minutes ago) - good thing as you guys suggested as the U joints were startting to take on a rust, fortunatley only a light surface rust which wiped off and looks like they need regreased now.<br /><br />So it looks like the water intrustion was because the o-ring for the water pump pipe was missing. I had installed, but must have fallen out before I had the drive seated last time. Never caught that fact. :cool: <br /><br />I guess I am in okay shape except for needing a new gasket set. :p

Don S

That's not it. That oring will not allow water into the boat. It's either the bellows has a hole in it, installed incorrectly, or the big rubber ring "A" is damaged or missing.<br /><br />
Alpha%20bellhousing.jpg

RedTRex

Recruit

The bellows had water in it, which looks like came from O-ring "B" missing. The bellwos is on correctly, I just verified.<br /><br />"A" had fallen off too......which allows water into the boat via the 2 slots by the gimbal bearing. (no I didn't glue in place the first time.<br /><br />Does that make sense?

Don S

Like I said, B is not your problem. A is your problem.<br />The most that could happen if B was missing is water leaks to the outside, but not into the bellows area.

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

this is a question - not a hijack:)<br /><br />Sorry about repeat post but not on my end!

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

this is a question - not a hijack:)<br />Would the glue on A o-ring referred to be to simply hold in place during reassembly?

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

this is a question - not a hijack:)

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class

tystick

Petty Officer 1st Class