can you swap, replace or upgrade to newer Throttle controller mercury 1150 1979

crovowen

Seaman Apprentice
On a 1978 Mercury 1150 6cyl on a 17.5 kingfisher, I would like to replace the throttle controller with a later model unit to move the key switch away from the front of the box. it is the merc blue box with key switch and separtate choke push button on the right, tilt control on the throttle handle, and trailer tilt on the left. anybody have any ideas, suggestions or comments? i would like to change this to the later model with the key on the end of the unit so the key is not digging into my right thigh, and since I have broken one key off in the switch in the in the past, it would really be nice. moving the seat is not possible due to the boat layout.
Jimbo

M

Maxz695

Re: can you swap, replace or upgrade to newer Throttle controller mercury 1150 1979

get a dash harness off ebay and iliminate the throttle key altogether I have an indash push to choke in the keyswitch harness I got off ebay a year ago. If you find the right harness it will have wires for the throttle trim tilt. I, working with a comander 2000 shifter I bought New with No trim tilt as I don,t hyave it but has the spot for the switch in the shifter handle

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: can you swap, replace or upgrade to newer Throttle controller mercury 1150 1979

You can use the Commander 2000 series if you have the barrel plug, if you have the harness that plug is in the side you can either: A) splice your harness to it B) Find a Commander series with flat plug or C) buy the harness adapter