Trailer winch recommendation

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 8,600# - 27' boat on a bunk trailer. The winch i have needs replacement. The handle broke off. The biggest hand winch i could find is the F2 at 3,200# capacity. Is that strong enough? Or should i look at electric.

My ramp is really steep at my marina and i have to winch my boat up.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Trailer winch recommendation

I have a Fulton F2 2,000# capacity. Best winch I've ever used. STAY AWAY from any of the SeaSense products. They also make the Bass Pro house brands.

UncleWillie

Captain

8600lb should average 860lbs flat pull for Bunk Friction. (10%)
Plus another 25% for pulling uphill, assuming an average 15% grade on the ramp. (2150lbs)
Total = 35% = 3010lbs.

Check out the DL-3200A 2 speed winch.
The low gear is over 17:1. Most other are only 12:1.
More cranking, but easier cranking.

Adding some Bunk lube will make it even easier.

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

The bunks i have now are 14' long. I do not want to put slides on them. The slides will leave pressure marks. There is enough slime on my boat to slip up my bunks. The winch i have now is physically bending up and away from the trailer. The winch is a two speed winch that has been rebuilt and a big wire cable added. My ramp is more like 30% grade. I hate my ramp!!!

UncleWillie

Captain

If your Ramp is truly 30%, you will have 3400lbs of typical pull force on the cable.
(30%=17deg. sin(17) =.292 ; +10% Friction = .392 * 8600 lbs = 3374 lbs.)

Look for at least a 4000lb winch....and check the winching speed closely.
Some of these use a smaller motor and gear it down to keep the cost down.
A winch that only pulls 2 feet per minute can take some time to recover a boat that needs to be pulled in the last 12 feet.
Winches are NOT continuous duty, (4 minutes Max. is typical.)
If you have to stop every few minutes to let it cool, recover can take a while.

And Again... Bunk Lube can help immensely.

Last edited:

amanphoto

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went with a Foltun Trailer Winch, 2600lb. Load Capacity, 5.1:1/12.1:1 Gear Ratio, 24' x 7/16" Rope Capacity, 2" x 20'L Strap. I got pissed of with the one I had and this one was in stock. See what happens.

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's what I did. I have a 5500 lb boat and a 30 degree ramp to negotiate. No way I could use an organically powered winch. I don't know if it'll work for you but it's made loading a breeze. I have a remote control for it, so I just walk the hook down to the boat and press the button. If it's not clear, this picture is in the pickup bed. Maybe a similar arrangement would work in the OP's case, although I realize mine was easier as I already had a 5th wheel hitch onboard.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

you might want to cover those battery terminals.

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you might want to cover those battery terminals.

I have now. That picture was while construction was still "in progress". I think the boffins would call it an "iterative design process". I had to remove, backtrack, try again etc. I think I've got it mostly right and need a better picture. :)