Shakedown 'Cruise' in My Sylvan 16

JoLin

Vice Admiral
This is the 1995 16' Sylvan Pro Select aluminum dual console w/85 hp Yamaha (also 1995) that I bought specifically to tow to Florida behind my little SUV (Mitsubishi Outlander). Aluminum is almost unheard of in my neck of the woods, but it was the only way I could get a decent-sized boat that's light enough to tow. A fiberglass DC or bowrider in that size would've put me well over the car's tow limit.

I've spent several weeks removing livewell pumps, plugging thru-hulls, cleaning up wiring and replacing all the fuel-related stuff (2 tank vents and hoses, fill hose, water separator and engine feed hoses). I got the frozen steering cable out and replaced (that was a bear), and that side of the boat reassembled.

I still have lots of odds and ends to clean up but was getting concerned about the weather turning too cold to try it out. After deciding that it was safe enough to use, I changed the LU fluid yesterday and today I towed it 15 miles on the highway to the launch ramp at Hecksher State Park. Towing went really well. I could tell the rig was back there, but the car handled well at 60 mph, and braked fine, too. It felt very similar to towing my 21' Pro-Line behind my 1/2-ton Chevy, or my 24' Chris-Craft behind my 3/4-ton Dodge. No drama- first hurdle cleared.

After launching I sat with a flashlight and watched the transom for leaks from my 'plug' jobs (the bilge was bone-dry before I launched). Unfortunately, there's a trickle from one of the 5, so I'll have to break it out and re-bed it. It took 20 minutes to get a couple quarts of water in the bilge, so hopefully that's the only leak. I'll find out when I re-launch after the repair.

Ran the engine for a good half hour (in neutral, forward and reverse) before I crossed myself and cast off from the dock. Couple turns around the 'lagoon', then out into the bay. Once past the no-wake I pushed it and realized how much I miss the kick in the butt of a 2-stroke. Man, she really took off! The bay was (as usual) too choppy for a high-speed cruise, but I got her up to 30 before I had to back off. She's obviously kinda light and bouncy, but handles like a 'real' v-hull boat! :)

Spent an hour tooling around, on plane, off plane, idle... then back to the dock. I was nosing up to it in neutral and got ready to step off the boat when the engine just died. Hmmm. Tied off, got back aboard and tried to restart. Spinning fine but wouldn't fire up. Damn!

(As I walk to the car, I feel something banging my leg. Yeah, the kill switch lanyard was still attached to my belt loop. When I moved to step onto the dock I shut down the engine! :facepalm: )

I'm really pleased with how it's coming along, and excited about having something to cruise the rivers and ICW around Stuart. Cool!

Re: Shakedown 'Cruise' in My Sylvan 16

Sounds like a successful day (at least you know the kill switch works :D )
Don't you just love it when a plan comes together:)

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Shakedown 'Cruise' in My Sylvan 16

Truth be told, I've been nervous about having chosen a 'tinny.' I have no experience with them, and neither does anybody I know. It's a rare choice here. All my friends had basically the same reaction... 'it's a what? You mean, like a rowboat?'

So yeah, I'm pleased that it seems to be working out. One of the weird things about it is that it's rated for 115 hp! That's gotta be scary fast, and only for water that's like glass. The boat only weighs 900 lbs. I'm convinced that it'd run fine with 60-70 hp, if I ever needed to repower.