1965 West Bend 50 Wiring Harness

Fabuglas

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, New to the site. I have come to own a 1965 West Bend 500. I believe they called it a "Golden Shark" It is a 2 cyl, 2 stroke 50 hp. It seems to be all there, mostly, and I would like to try and start it and see what happens. The wiring harness out of the motor to the ignition switch, and the ignition switch itself, is a mess. Can anyone provide me with guidance on the correct type of ignition switch and where

I have 8 wires total in the harness. Over the last 47 years it has become difficult to be certain about the color of the wires. I can find a fresh spot in the inside the chafe protection sleeve and see if the colors are more distinguishable where they were better protected from the elements.

2 of the eight wires are noticeably thicker gauge then the other 6. All the wires in the harness are connected nicely to the terminal block on the motor.

I purchased a manual for all Chrysler outboards from the period and it is totally confusing because it covers multiple ignition systems and all HP models.

Does anyone have a diagram that indicates how the ignition harness should be wired out of the motor?
Help!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1965 West Bend 50 Wiring Harness

Your motor may have a magneto ignition or a battery ignition with a flywheel mounted alternator.
A magneto ignition requires a outboard type ignition switch.Battery ignition should work with a standard key switch.
The Magneto type key switch has a terminal that shorts the primary side to ground to stop the motor.
There is a slim possibility that those with electric start may have battery ignition.
The Magneto ignition is self generating so no 12 volts to the points.