1997 force 120 lower unit oil weep

wideopen98

Cadet
97 force 120 i just had the lower unit rebuilt and it sat on my garage floor on its side for a week after it was filled with oil with no leaks...went to sit it up and oil started leaking out of bottom when i started to shift it with a pair of pliers to get it in neutral.. im assuming this is from it sitting and some gettin into the exhaust area?? anyways put lower unit on and filled it back up and put her in gear and out of gear a few times and no leaks...but now a couple days later i notice oil is weeping out of a little hole above the lower unit, im not sure what the hole is for but its just enough to have a little drip on the skeg...what is the hole for and how is oil that much higher than the lower unit?? hope im specific enough

dutch420

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1997 force 120 lower unit oil weep

Sounds like the weeping hole for the exhaust. Its right by where the water pump is located right?. What color is the oil leaking out ..

wideopen98

Cadet

its def. clean fresh lower unit oil, i dont understand it

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

maybe you just need to replace the 3 rubber washers on the 3 screws ? I know I gotta do my washers this spring - they are pretty stiff.