2008 SLX 270 with 496 died first time out......

04select2000

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All,

Just purchased a 2008 SLX 270 496 Mag with 75 hours on it recently. Had it out for the first time yesterday and it ran good for about 3 hours, than it died. I was running it at about 3500 RPM and is started to miss, slowed down, and then finally just died. When I would try to start it it would sputter and pop, and then stall again (kinda sound like my 200 when it was vapor locked). Then it wouldn't even do that after a while. Isn't there some type of valve or sensor that this sounds like? I did it on my old 200, but I forgot what is was called. It was right under the spark arrester if I remember right? Could it possibly be something else. Thanks if advance for your help..

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2008 SLX 270 with 496 died first time out......

Hi All,

Just purchased a 2008 SLX 270 496 Mag with 75 hours on it recently. Had it out for the first time yesterday and it ran good for about 3 hours, than it died. I was running it at about 3500 RPM and is started to miss, slowed down, and then finally just died. When I would try to start it it would sputter and pop, and then stall again (kinda sound like my 200 when it was vapor locked). Then it wouldn't even do that after a while. Isn't there some type of valve or sensor that this sounds like? I did it on my old 200, but I forgot what is was called. It was right under the spark arrester if I remember right? Could it possibly be something else. Thanks if advance for your help..

Howdy,

Symptoms like you indicate are frequently fuel related. You may have a plugged filter, vent, anti-siphon valve, fuel pickup screen, blockage in the fuel line, fuel pump problem, or even a crack in the fuel supply line prior to the fuel pump.

That's a EFI (MPI) engine so there may be codes set in the ECM that can point you to where to look also.

It's pretty hard to be very specific based on your description without knowing more of the above "stuff".

Regards,

Rick

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 2008 SLX 270 with 496 died first time out......

Ayuh,.... Sounds like it ran outa gas,.... What's in the fuel filter,..??