Can I use this boat in fresh water

Will-Sandy

Seaman Apprentice
Looking at buying a boat from Florida, I asked if this was a freshwater boat this is his response "Mixed fresh and brackish but mostly fresh canal" do you think I can use this in freshwater or am I going to have a lot of work to do on it before I can use it

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Can I use this boat in fresh water

Any boat can be used in freshwater - there is no conversion if that is what you are wondering. In fact the engine and drive (if an inboard) should have been flushed with fresh water after each use anyway when run in salt water. The big concern is inspecting it for damage or improper care due to the salt water use.

What kind of boat? Inboard, outboard, etc? Let us know that and people will be able to guide you what to inspect and what to look for.

tpenfield

Staff member

Boats are boats . .. they generally do not care about the water.

Only you can determine the condition of the boat . . . the type of water will be a factor, but small in comparison to the overall maintenance.

86 century

Ensign

+1 to the a above

Look her over real well as an improperly maintained salt water I/O can be a big mess.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

what's a boat?

salt v fresh has little effect on outboards.

Few boats themselves can't handle salt; all can handle fresh, although a boat that can't handle salt is not marinre grade and should be avoided.

Steel trailers can't handle salt.

Will-Sandy

Seaman Apprentice

It is a 2006 Sea Ray 185 Sport with a merc 3.0

jestor68

Commander

It is a 2006 Sea Ray 185 Sport with a merc 3.0

If you are buying it sight unseen, you are taking a chance on getting a boat with some salt water corrosion having attacked any metal parts.

Never buy a boat from any coastal area without personally inspecting it first. ;)

Will-Sandy

Seaman Apprentice

If you are buying it sight unseen, you are taking a chance on getting a boat with some salt water corrosion having attacked any metal parts.

Never buy a boat from any coastal area without personally inspecting it first. ;)

Even if I did go down there to I wouldn't know what to look for, the pictures of the engine compartment and engine look really clean didn't see any rust, it has 141 hours on it,

Toddavid

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just change the drive anodes to magnesium (assuming they were using aluminum for the salt water).

Will-Sandy

Seaman Apprentice

06sr185-0026.jpg06sr185-0027.jpg06sr185-0028.jpg

This is what the engine compartment looks like

tpenfield

Staff member

Even if I did go down there to I wouldn't know what to look for, . . .

So, what is your plan for determining if this is a good boat, a good boat for you, a good deal, worth the distance of transportation, and all the rest?

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

a six year old boat of decent quality won't show ill effects from salt water, especially if it was trailered or on a lift BUT I can't speak for an I/O motor in that regard (and neither can a lake boater; you need advice from a salty who has one.)

Sounds like there are more important things to consider that you need to learn about.

All of the boats in my market are salt water boats; it's simply not an issue. Just like any boat from Arizona would have been in the sun.

I think Sea Rays have a good reputation for quality but they aren't boats I know or hear about personally. Six years old is a good age to buy a used boat of mid to top quality, barring any extreme circumstances or extreme neglect.

Will-Sandy

Seaman Apprentice

I guess yes, I am not mechnical at all, so besides the looks of a boat and checking on the Internet for history of certain makes and models and talking with friends, so yes I guess so

sasto

Captain

Where in Florida? I'm willing to help out a fellow iboater if needed.

halfmoa

Ensign

Will-Sandy, is there something in particular that's drawing you 2300Km to this boat? That's a long freaking drive for a boat! I'd think the cost of the drive, food, and lodging would offset your elevated market price alone!

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

If you are set on buying a boat in Florida, I think it would be a good idea to go down and look at several before you buy.

If you are just after a good deal, consider that you get what you pay for.

Just taking a look at the Syracuse, NY craigslist I see these as comparable boats:

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/bod/3282041426.html

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/3336666148.html

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/bod/3336483575.html

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/boa/3301997842.html

Bayliners and Sea Rays are both produced by Brunswick. The small Sea Rays are truly noo better than the Bayliners. The Sea Rays are just as cheaply built.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Wonder why 75% of those boats are Bayliners?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I just did a quick search with a price range of $8k-10k. I posted the top 4 similar to boat that the OP is looking at.