Mystery Hole in stern of boat, by the Bildge

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class
This hole, is in the stern of the boat, on the Starboard side. When it rains, water comes out the little hole at the bottom. There is a crack in the skin above it, and I worry about the wood there. I want to repair the crack, plug the hole..... but I don't know where the water will go if I do that, or why it's there at all. The other side, is identical, minus the crack or hole.

Here it is:

http://youtu.be/REXJCU6xVQw

Here it is in HD:

http://youtu.be/REXJCU6xVQw?hd=1

Attachments

• IMG_0626.jpg
    IMG_0626.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0624.jpg
    IMG_0624.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0617.jpg
    IMG_0617.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0616.jpg
    IMG_0616.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Mystery Hole in stern of boat, by the Bildge

This hole,

Ayuh,... Don't plug the holes,.... None of 'em,....

It appears that the compartments all drain to the pumpable bilge, as the should....

The little hole in question, it's up, 'n under the battery boxes,..??
Is there any unaccountable space there, that might be a foam box,..??

Test the boat with a hose, 'n See where the water is comin' from...

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

That would be rot-itis. You should get busy with a drill and start taking core samples on your bulkheads and transom. Wet darl shavings = rot, light colored dry shavings = good.

Looks to me like you may need an extensive rebuild. That cracked fiberglass is from wood swelling as it sucks up water.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That would be rot-itis. You should get busy with a drill and start taking core samples on your bulkheads and transom. Wet darl shavings = rot, light colored dry shavings = good.

Looks to me like you may need an extensive rebuild. That cracked fiberglass is from wood swelling as it sucks up water.

Rot should be a 4 letter word. I need to put the breaks on that. Why is water comming from that hole. Where does it come from? Even if I fixed that area, I'd need to stop the water from flowing to that area... otherwise, not only will the problem still exist. The water would be trapped. Or, at least it seams this way....

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It appears that the compartments all drain to the pumpable bilge, as the should....

The little hole in question, it's up, 'n under the battery boxes,..??
Is there any unaccountable space there, that might be a foam box,..??

Test the boat with a hose, 'n See where the water is comin' from...

The port side, does not have this hole. Only the Starboard side. It's small, and I can push a stick several inches into it, at a slight, upward, toward stern angle. ABOVE that hole, is a channel. The deck drain hose runs through that.... There is also the battery box above it. Neither drain into anything that has access to that hole. They drain into the bilge at the very back. I can't see the other side of the hole, or the stick when pushed into the hole. It appears as if it's under the channel where the deck drain and battery box is. My video has a good look at it. I'd be happy to make more pics or videos also.

I will drop a hose on it.

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer

As jigngrub says get busy with a drill and start taking core samples on your bulkheads and transom, that water doesnt supose to be there. Scrap the fb to verify how far is the rot from that point, maybe just as a start.

Bondo

Staff member

The port side, does not have this hole. Only the Starboard side. It's small, and I can push a stick several inches into it, at a slight, upward, toward stern angle. ABOVE that hole, is a channel. The deck drain hose runs through that.... There is also the battery box above it. Neither drain into anything that has access to that hole. They drain into the bilge at the very back. I can't see the other side of the hole, or the stick when pushed into the hole. It appears as if it's under the channel where the deck drain and battery box is. My video has a good look at it. I'd be happy to make more pics or videos also.

I will drop a hose on it.

Ayuh,.... Squirt water in various places, in various compartments, til ya get water outa That hole....

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ayuh,.... Squirt water in various places, in various compartments, til ya get water outa That hole....

Alright, I'll do that 1st thing in the AM. It's late, dark, Cold, and I just finished making a mess with Epoxy and fiberglass. I suppose, once I find how water get's to it... we figure out how to stop that.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As jigngrub says get busy with a drill and start taking core samples on your bulkheads and transom, that water doesnt supose to be there. Scrap the fb to verify how far is the rot from that point, maybe just as a start.

I will certainly have to get some glass off, and drill a bit to see what's doin' in there... but, I need to figure out why water runs out of it 1st, so I can stop that. One question is. Was this hole made on purpose. Why is it there. Why does water flow out of it. I can't plug it, fix it, dry it, or anything, if more water will keep running to it...

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

To me, and I'm not certain about it, but it appears this could be and engineered stringer that is Hollow and thats why you can poke so far into it. If you drill into it and get no shavings then that would confirm it. Water Hose should tell the story where it's coming from. If from above you will need to find the breach and repair it and then wait for the lower part to dry. If it is indeed an engineered stringer then a grinder, resin and glass will have you fixed in no time. Since it happens when it rains I suspect the breach is in the battery box somewhere and that's the first place I'd put the hose.

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To me, and I'm not certain about it, but it appears this could be and engineered stringer that is Hollow and thats why you can poke so far into it. If you drill into it and get no shavings then that would confirm it. Water Hose should tell the story where it's coming from. If from above you will need to find the breach and repair it and then wait for the lower part to dry. If it is indeed an engineered stringer then a grinder, resin and glass will have you fixed in no time. Since it happens when it rains I suspect the breach is in the battery box somewhere and that's the first place I'd put the hose.

I do think your right. It does seam to be a hollow area on the other side. I wish it were easier to explain, or show in pictures/video. If I don't have any luck, I'll make more detailed video. The crack, and the hole, are past the battery.... so, it can not be the battery area. Also, the area behind the battery, which is above the hole/crack, going forward... where the deck drain hose runs, also looks to be sound. I feel like it's coming from the front somewhere, and running toward the back, and out the hole. I've looked it over and see nothing. Hate to soak it on purpose, but I suppose that hose has to happen. I'm gonna mess with the hose, and get my eyes wherever I can. Thanks for all the input. So helpfull

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Does anybody have any thoughts on the hole up front, in the well? Nobody has touched on that one yet. It's shown in the video.

(I have not dropped a hose in the boat yet, as I need to finish my new drains 1st, or water will go all over)

Bondo

Staff member

Does anybody have any thoughts on the hole up front, in the well? Nobody has touched on that one yet. It's shown in the video.

(I have not dropped a hose in the boat yet, as I need to finish my new drains 1st, or water will go all over)

Ayuh,.... That what I was talkin' bout,...

All them drainage holes are Necessary....

Bondo

Staff member

I do think your right. It does seam to be a hollow area on the other side. I wish it were easier to explain, or show in pictures/video. If I don't have any luck, I'll make more detailed video. The crack, and the hole, are past the battery.... so, it can not be the battery area. Also, the area behind the battery, which is above the hole/crack, going forward... where the deck drain hose runs, also looks to be sound. I feel like it's coming from the front somewhere, and running toward the back, and out the hole. I've looked it over and see nothing. Hate to soak it on purpose, but I suppose that hose has to happen. I'm gonna mess with the hose, and get my eyes wherever I can. Thanks for all the input. So helpfull

Ayuh,.... I've seen hulls where the Oem built fiberglass boxes in the aft outside corners, 'n filled 'em with foam, like I mentioned before...

If the foam is wet, it'll also freeze, 'n expand, poppin' that crack like ya got...

Either way,... DON"T seal the limber/ drain holes,...

Just stop as much water from above as ya can....

cerenzio

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ayuh,.... I've seen hulls where the Oem built fiberglass boxes in the aft outside corners, 'n filled 'em with foam, like I mentioned before...

If the foam is wet, it'll also freeze, 'n expand, poppin' that crack like ya got...

Either way,... DON"T seal the limber/ drain holes,...

Just stop as much water from above as ya can....

I think you're right, about the foam. I can't test with water yet, cause all my drains are out. (I'm replacing all my thru-hulls). I do think there is a Foam in there. The other side, does not have cracks or the hole... which made me think this hole didn't belong, or, it was added at some point, to remove water that doesn't belong either. I will take your advise and leave that hole, instead, chasing after the source. That is a great strategy and makes perfect sense. If I can get that to dry at all, I'll reglass the crack, and leave the hole alone.

As for the front hole, you think that fugly lookin' hole is OK? Just an ugly drain, doin' it's thing?