Volvo 5.0 gxi not sucking in water while in water or on muffs

iliketurtles

Cadet
Hi, I have a 99 Volvo 5.0 gxi serial # 4110176223. I was running it on the muffs while gathering winterizing supplies. When I came out I saw a bunch of smoke coming from the outdrive. It was overheating. I changed the impeller and it still does't suck in water from the drive. I know because I took the outlet impeller hose off at the thermostat housing. When I took supply hose off at the transom and shot the garden hose in there it would pump water out the other end. I didn't shove it in there and put it under pressure but held it a few inches away and the excess water just drained. From reading some of the other posts it sounds like if it is sucking air from the drive (out of water with muffs) it should suck water when in the water. I brought it to the river to submerge the drive and still nothing. I think that I eliminated any possible leaks on the engine compartment side. I should mention that it did dip into the mid 20's a few weeks back. Could that have cracked anything?

1. Could there still be a leak in the drive even if is doesn't suck water while submerged?
2. What was the cause of all the smoke from the drive? Did I destroy anything?

Thanks

tarheelgwb

Cadet
Re: Volvo 5.0 gxi not sucking in water while in water or on muffs

Hi, I have a 99 Volvo 5.0 gxi serial # 4110176223. I was running it on the muffs while gathering winterizing supplies. When I came out I saw a bunch of smoke coming from the outdrive. It was overheating. I changed the impeller and it still does't suck in water from the drive. I know because I took the outlet impeller hose off at the thermostat housing. When I took supply hose off at the transom and shot the garden hose in there it would pump water out the other end. I didn't shove it in there and put it under pressure but held it a few inches away and the excess water just drained. From reading some of the other posts it sounds like if it is sucking air from the drive (out of water with muffs) it should suck water when in the water. I brought it to the river to submerge the drive and still nothing. I think that I eliminated any possible leaks on the engine compartment side. I should mention that it did dip into the mid 20's a few weeks back. Could that have cracked anything?

1. Could there still be a leak in the drive even if is doesn't suck water while submerged?
2. What was the cause of all the smoke from the drive? Did I destroy anything?

Thanks

one thing to check is the inlet tube from the outdrive that runs into the transom. on my dps-a outdrive there is a plastic fitting that the hose attaches to. i had a similar issue that water would not pull from the muffs and found the fitting was split or nearly separated causing the impeller to suck air. using the flush tube in the engine compartment it would work fine however that is due to forced water from the water supply.

iliketurtles

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. I just took the drive off and will start looking into that area as well as the transom area. I made a stand with some old crusty 2x4's and some plans that I found on here.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Take the hose off the thermoststat and hook it up to a garden hose and force water the opposite direction and see what happens.

iliketurtles

Cadet

I think I found a good method of testing for leaks in the line. With the drive off (could be performed on too) I put gorilla tape on the both sides of the intake on the bottom of the drive. Then I put another piece on the top with a small hole to blow into. It held pressure. I did the same thing to the pivot housing (I think that is what it is called) with the gorilla tape. I blew from the impeller intake hose down to the pivot housing intake. That held pressure too. Then I rigged up a piece of hose that fit tight into the pivot intake and put it in a garbage can full of water. Nothing.

Take the hose off the thermoststat and hook it up to a garden hose and force water the opposite direction and see what happens.
- When I shove the garden hose into the pivot intake directly it works and circulates through the system and comes out the exhaust bellows.

I did notice some water dripping from somewhere around the impeller housing while running it with the hose shoved in. It is hard to see exactly where it is coming from. The "thing" that the housing bolts too seems to have a small bit of slop in it. I don't know if that is normal or not. Any more ideas anyone?

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So did you do what I suggested? Almost sounds like you have an obstruction between the pivot housing and the drive intake.

iliketurtles

Cadet

I indirectly did what you suggested. I flushed with water from impeller intake hose back to drive - clear. Then I forced water up through pivot housing and it came out exhaust bellows - so it should be clear.

iliketurtles

Cadet

Thanks Don. I probably should have started there. I just got back from the dealership with my sea water pump and it was confirmed bad. The bearing felt a little sloppy and "gravely." The guy there said it should be smooth and tight and that the seal probably failed which caused the bearing to fail. I just ordered a new pump - $325.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The bearing felt a little sloppy and "gravely." The guy there said it should be smooth and tight and that the seal probably failed which caused the bearing to fail.

That is one of the drawbacks of forums where WE can't see or feel what you are working on. And if you don't know if something is good or bad by looking at it, and never mentioning it, then the real problem just gets overlooked.
Had you even mentioned that the bearing was rough, the problem would have been obvious.

vwbugman69

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What is the best way to check the bearing? Does the entire pump have to be removed or just the belt taken off?

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Pump bolted to the block: Water pump
Pump on the drive shaft replaceable impeller: Fresh water pump

I was under the impression that the freshwater pump pulled and distributed the water supply for the block. How does the water pump effect this process....Loss of pressure in the system????

iliketurtles

Cadet

When you take off the impeller / housing you can spin the "housing mount" while the shaft and pulley are stationary. When the engine is running the reverse is true. The pulley and shaft spin and the impeller housing (which bolts directley to sea water pump) doesn't move. I'm going off the top of my head but I'm pretty sure the sea water pump which turns the impeller sucks water from the lake up through the thermostat housing. Then on to the circulation pump which pumps throughout the block. There is a good diagram of the flow on a sx outdrive schematic. I'm on my phone so I can't easily link too it but poke around on the forum and you'll find it.

Just to defend myself a bit. I certainly did noy enjoy twisting myself into a pretzel for any longer than need be. I did mention it was a LITTLE sloppy. I have zero repetitions doing this and nothing to compare it too.

iliketurtles

Cadet

Put the new sea water pump on and put the drive back on. Works great.