Tipping point to replace a transom?

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All

I have a 1990 Glastron SSV199. I am replacing some of the decking, and flotation foam on the port side, about 1/2 back to the stern. Did the starboard side last year.

Stringers, engine-mounts are fine. Yay. (Edit; no they were not - did not understand what I was doing at the time)

But I see there is some rot in the transom around an eye pad that was bedded poorly and leaked. Looks to be a soft area about 1 foot diameter, probably 1/2 inch deep.

The transom is fine around the cutout for the stern-drive, its fine everywhere else. The problem appears to be localized. Although I have to do more exploring on the weekend.

So.... I would rather not replace the entire transom for a limited problem. But I also dont like doing things twice. Is there a tipping point where one says; it hast to come out?

Secondly -- assuming I do so, is there any advice on partially replacing or repairing limited rot in a transom?

Thanks Much
Chris

Last edited:

krakatoa

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Tipping point to replace a transom?

Hello There!
If you found a rotten spot at your transom is cause water already came in from some point, its not ok to put a bandage, you need to look further and probably do a full replacement, do you have pics? We like pics. Take a look to my signature there is a link to my in progress Transom Restoration, I also own a SSV190 Glastron. Mine is an OB. Please provide more details. Soon the Big Guru Guys from iBoats will stop by with lots of tips to help you on.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

If your transom is one solid piece there's no way you can put a splice in it to just repair a portion of it... it's all or nothing. Trying to splice in a patch will create a weak point at the joint which will cause worse problems in just a short time.

Leaving the transom in with the rotten spot will only let the rot spread and weaken the transom even more.

Might as well take the whole transom out and replace it while you have the boat opened up... if for nothing else but peace of mind.

Edited:

I'd like to add that if the rot damage is about a foot in diameter on the side you can see, it'll be much larger on the side you can't see... you'll see this when you pull the wood out.

Short answer for "what is the tipping point?" ANY rotten or even wet wood (wet wood is future rotten wood)

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

Short answer for "what is the tipping point?" ANY rotten or even wet wood (wet wood is future rotten wood)

Really?

As a thought experiment.... If you found a rotten piece just 1" diameter, you would replace the entire transom?

I may very well need to replace mine when I dig into it; but there should be a reasonable restore vs. replace cut off point. And assuming there is, there must be techniques to restore affected areas.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Really?

As a thought experiment.... If you found a rotten piece just 1" diameter, you would replace the entire transom?

IMO, yes.

As I stated earlier, if there's a 1" dia. spot of rot on the side of the transom you can see, there'll be a much bigger spot of rot on the side you can't see.

Rot is like cancer, it doesn't get better and only gets worse.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Small areas of the transom, depending on their location can be cut out and repaired without significantly affecting the structural integrity of the boat. Having said that, JNG's points are well taken. What appears to be a small area, could in-fact turn into a more significant issue. In your case since the area IS around and Eye Pad, (I'm assuming you mean a "Stern Tow Eye" like this...
22790F-t.jpg
or this
images

it would not be wise to attempt to patch this area since it comes under heavy stress. If in fact it was only an area of 6 sq. inches or less, I suppose you could cut out (ensuring ALL of the rot was gone and you had 100% totally dry wood) the 6 sq. inch area, effect a patch glass it in and then make a large backup plate for the Eye to dissipate the load over a larger area of the transom. All this conjecture is predicated on the fact that it IS a very small isolated area. If not then a total transom replacement would be warranted.

You also state "Stringers, engine-mounts are fine. Yay." How do you know this? Did you core sample them? If not there is no way to know for sure that, in-fact, they are fine.

chconger

Petty Officer 1st Class

You also state "Stringers, engine-mounts are fine. Yay." How do you know this? Did you core sample them? If not there is no way to know for sure that, in-fact, they are fine.

You are exactly right about the source with the tow eye. It was probably used (stressed) for trailer tie down more than anything.

I don't think I will be lucky here. I do expect the worst. If i can see 1 foot diameter then it wont get better inside the layers of ply.

Will see...

Thanks
Chris

Last edited: