Pink Coolant for Winterization?

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer
For the last 7 years I've drained my block for winter and re-filled it with regular ole' automotive antifreeze (I know you dont have to but I do anyway). Well now I have a boat with a holding and fresh water tank that require the "safe" pink RV type antifreeze. It's like 1/4 the cost of normal antifreeze and I was thinking about buying bulk and just doing up the engine with it as well. It says "for engines" on the bottle. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Thanks.

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Pink Coolant for Winterization?

as long as its the the propylene glycol stuff (with corrosion inhibitors) its fine, and actually recommended. The green auto stuff is not so good for the environment when you run it out in the spring.

scarpint

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Pink Coolant for Winterization?

as long as its the the propylene glycol stuff (with corrosion inhibitors) its fine, and actually recommended. The green auto stuff is not so good for the environment when you run it out in the spring.

For what it's worth, I think many who use the automotive stuff drain it into a bucket in the spring to be used again the following fall...