Thoughts on this boat

matt167

Captain
I just found this, and it is still available.. I know it's basicly an empty shell, but it's cheap.. Is that worth it to bring back to life? I would think, replacing the steering with teleflex steering and powering it with 40hp or so. Doesent need to be quick because I'll end up using whatever boat I get on the canals and rivers mostly

http://utica.craigslist.org/boa/3253542800.html

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Thoughts on this boat

That looks like a pretty sweet deal to me. Does it have a title? If so, I say pull the trigger.

InMotion

Commander

Jet or Jetstar... either way... go for it. Just picked one of them up myself!

J.

matt167

Captain

waiting to hear back from owner. I asked him if it was available, and he said it was. But that's the plan. It's about the same distance as the Bluefin I was considering which went for way more than I was willing to go on a sight unseen boat

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer

I'd buy it! The best ting about a Jet is they take up so little space. I have one I've been working on for a year or so, I keep it in my garage out of the elements which allows me to work on it all year round.

matt167

Captain

Well, he's got no title or registrations, only a BOS from a previous owner.. Pretty bummed.. I'v gotten a replacement with a car, but I know that it was out of the system. Never a boat.. Still worth it?

jbcurt00

Staff member

That wouldn't stop me in WV, but it would take some work @ cost me @ $100 total for boat & trailer.... But the trailer would actually be more difficult. I am headed out the door. I'll come back in a bit.

matt167

Captain

Think I'll run to the DMV in preperation and let them know what is planned and pick up the paperwork that I know is needed. It's a very small DMV run by 2 ladies, which are the 1's that helped me with the car I bought without reggie.

Bwana Don

Lieutenant Commander

Run down to the DMV with the owner. See if you can get the paperwork done.

jbcurt00

Staff member

This all is based on a seller selling a boat that they own, and have no paperwork. If you are in a state that makes it difficult (Texas & Ohio come to mind, but that may or may not be true, I don't currently nor ever lived in either) to reg &/or title a boat or trailer this may not work for you. But I have done this for multiple boats & trailers in WV. The trailers were somewhat more difficult, but just more paperwork & more time. End results the same, titled & registered to me.

None of them had titles or reg, but based on multiple conversations & meeting the seller in person at a house not some random business parking lot, I felt confident that they were in fact the owner & had legal right to sell me the boats & trailers.

I used a metal punch set to give 2 of the boats HIN (loosely based on what I think Starcraft would have used, & a mix of #'s & letters) since they had none, the other 2 had HIN on the transom, and I used those #'s for those 2. I registered all 4 thru the DNR website for Wisconsin. Anything 16ft & over is not eligible to register online, they need to be inspected by a Wisconsin DNR officer (other law enforcement officers may also do the visual inspection), so that was not an option for 1 of the 4 as I live in WV, & it's 16' 3". We'll come back to that 1....

It cost @$27 to register each 1 online, but might have been slightly cheaper if I'd done them all at once instead of individually.

Once I had the registration in my name, it was very easy to fill out the WV VIN/HIN form:
View attachment WV Verification-of-VIN.pdf

I called the local sheriff's office & requested a VIN verification check, it usually took less then 15min for an officer to show up & examine my Wisconsin reg, verify that the boat had the matching HIN, and sign off on the form. With that info & my WV title application, I got a WV title & reg issued.

The trailers were more trouble but came w/ the boat, and didn't have reg, title or plates. I looked for & was unable to find VIN on 3 of them. While 1 had a VIN it was just a sticker, and that was no longer on the trailer when it was examined an officer. The same VIN form was used for the trailers. With that form, I had to provide pix of the trailer from the front & 1 side, and provide a materials list & receipts from where I bought the materials used. However, I was told to list scrap, excess materials on hand by the DMV clerk.

Because they didn't have #'s, WV issued VIN's and then issued registration, titles & plates.

No problems.....

The 16' 3" boat was done the same as the rest, 'apparently' there was a typo when I registered it online in Wisconsin :rolleyes:

NY title & reg doc:
View attachment 172305
View attachment NY reg ~ title.pdf

http://www.nysparks.com/recreation/boating/resources.aspx <<-- this direct link may not work...

Got to: http://www.nysparks.com

Click the recreation tab, then the boats link....

You'll find info on applying for a HIN, and the process, which sounds complicated, and if the boat does not have a HIN, the state will review submitted paperwork, and schedule a visual inspection of the newly issued HIN's installation.

matt167

Captain

Run down to the DMV with the owner. See if you can get the paperwork done.

Being he is not the 'legal' owner ( Bill of sale in another name along with no registrations ) I'm not sure he can do anything different.

matt167

Captain

This all is based on a seller selling a boat that they own, and have no paperwork. If you are in a state that makes it difficult (Texas & Ohio come to mind, but that may or may not be true, I don't currently nor ever lived in either) to reg &/or title a boat or trailer this may not work for you. But I have done this for multiple boats & trailers in WV. The trailers were somewhat more difficult, but just more paperwork & more time. End results the same, titled & registered to me.

None of them had titles or reg, but based on multiple conversations & meeting the seller in person at a house not some random business parking lot, I felt confident that they were in fact the owner & had legal right to sell me the boats & trailers.

I used a metal punch set to give 2 of the boats HIN (loosely based on what I think Starcraft would have used, & a mix of #'s & letters) since they had none, the other 2 had HIN on the transom, and I used those #'s for those 2. I registered all 4 thru the DNR website for Wisconsin. Anything 16ft & over is not eligible to register online, they need to be inspected by a Wisconsin DNR officer (other law enforcement officers may also do the visual inspection), so that was not an option for 1 of the 4 as I live in WV, & it's 16' 3". We'll come back to that 1....

It cost @$27 to register each 1 online, but might have been slightly cheaper if I'd done them all at once instead of individually.

Once I had the registration in my name, it was very easy to fill out the WV VIN/HIN form:
View attachment 172311

I called the local sheriff's office & requested a VIN verification check, it usually took less then 15min for an officer to show up & examine my Wisconsin reg, verify that the boat had the matching HIN, and sign off on the form. With that info & my WV title application, I got a WV title & reg issued.

The trailers were more trouble but came w/ the boat, and didn't have reg, title or plates. I looked for & was unable to find VIN on 3 of them. While 1 had a VIN it was just a sticker, and that was no longer on the trailer when it was examined an officer. The same VIN form was used for the trailers. With that form, I had to provide pix of the trailer from the front & 1 side, and provide a materials list & receipts from where I bought the materials used. However, I was told to list scrap, excess materials on hand by the DMV clerk.

Because they didn't have #'s, WV issued VIN's and then issued registration, titles & plates.

No problems.....

The 16' 3" boat was done the same as the rest, 'apparently' there was a typo when I registered it online in Wisconsin :rolleyes:

NY title & reg doc:
View attachment 172305
View attachment 172312

http://www.nysparks.com/recreation/boating/resources.aspx <<-- this direct link may not work...

Got to: http://www.nysparks.com

Click the recreation tab, then the boats link....

You'll find info on applying for a HIN, and the process, which sounds complicated, and if the boat does not have a HIN, the state will review submitted paperwork, and schedule a visual inspection of the newly issued HIN's installation.

I'm fammiliar with the HIN application. I have to do that with my small 8' hommade boat because I'm putting a trolling motor on it and therefore needs a HIN/ hull numbers.. If their is no HIN, I may just walk away in case they reject the paperwork. If the HIN is there, should be easy to get the paperwork in order to process it. That part is not too difficult here in NY, at least for cars, but it should work the same way for boats. I will get that paperwork to have on hand before I go.

jbing81

Chief Petty Officer

When I built my 12' wood boat I didn't have much issue. I had to supply pics of the project along with a est cost to build. The issued me a HIN and I was instructed to permanently affix it to the hull.

With that said, I am having to do the same with the Jet that I'm building right now as well. I removed the HIN while I was prepping for paint and miss placed it. I went to the SOS and provided them with the bill of sale, photos, and the MC numbers. They had no problems reissuing a new set of HIN as they considered it a "home built boat".

matt167

Captain

That's what I was thinking, just if you read the wording NYparks uses, they can deny the paperwork and it needs an inspection/ receipts for the materials.. I know HIN's are not required in NY before 1972 model year ( and titles before 1987 ). If the boat is older than a '72, it shouldn't be an issue. The guy has yet to get back to me tho, so I don't even know exactly where it is yet.

I looked at a 1959 Whitehouse runabout earlier. Tempting but I don't want a project that big. Evidently, they were riding it around on rotted stringers and quit running it in 1991 likely because the hull breached from the flexing. Guy tried to tell me the hull was solid.. Not, it's got cracks all over including a few in the cap. Transom is rotted ( of course ), and he told me it could be 'glassed over'. They did that too, and glassed the transom to the cap, so there is a lot of 'repairs' that need removed to even pull it apart.. Nice complete. All trim, emblems and it even has an electric shift Johnson Seahorse which is in good shape, but likely needs work. I think the engine is a little later.. restorable boat for sure. Looks great from a distance. I can tackle it, I just don't want the project. It's the kind of boat, I'll get later and buy 1 that is restored, or at a time when I have a boat. Just wanting another project