Pulling motor and drive, what should I replace?

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class
In the midst of a floor rot rebuild and determined the transom is toast too. Found a shop to pull motor and outdrive for the transom rebuild. <br /><br />What are the minimum parts to consider replacing while I have it torn apart? Hoses, bellows etc. seem okay. I'm mostly concerned with Gaskets, parts known to fail, ones that are hard to get to or impossible to get to with out the engine out, drive out ect. I'll do the engine mounts and obvious stuff, the question is more for what I don't see or know about. <br /><br />I don't want any leaks :D ! I'll probably pull the outdrive mounting plate (whatever it's called) what's between this, the glass, the wood? I'll get it all put back, aligned and hopefully no more rot!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Pulling motor and drive, what should I replace?

Anything that is taken apart that was held together with an oring, gasket, seal, or what ever else they could be called. Replace em, they aren't reusable, some just think they are.<br />Then look things over, if it looks bad fix it or replace it. Especially anything you have to replace by pulling the engine.<br />How rusty is that oil pan? Check the archives for bilges full of oil due to rust holes in the pan and all the methods that don't work to fix them.<br /><br />And get an the OEM service manuals. You guys that don't understand the systems or how they work together, or what is involved in fixing them, seem to never have a manual. The pro's aren't born with the info, they have the manuals.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Don, I did buy the Owner's Manual, $40 bucks with S&H. The service manual is over $100. I figured at this point I'm paying someone to do the work, but I get your drift. At least I'll know if I'm getting good information. Motor looks good but I'll check that oil pan hard. I assume all the items you mentioned are redily available. Good ol' OMC. I let you know if I run into a jam and appreciate the advise.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Motor looks good but I'll check that oil pan hard. I assume all the items you mentioned are redily available. Good ol' OMC.
Hate to be the one to tell you, but OMC went out of buisness almost 10 years ago. OEM parts aren't even being produced.<br />Lots of things can be found as aftermarket, and most engine parts are GM, but drive and marinizing parts for the engine..... That is a different story.

Purduebarry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Believe me I know all about the death of OMC to my point, will the gaskets, o-rings etc. be available? I have not run into a problem for the general maintenance parts and the OMC mechanic I've spoken to suggested these type of things are readily avialable. <br /><br />I just wanted to see if there was a short list of MUST DO's with the motor and drive out of the boat?

thegodown

Seaman Apprentice

I would take a close look at the engine coupler, assuming there is one (I don't have any experience with OMC, only Mercruiser). This seems to be one of those items that fails, and when it does, you're completely stranded.