Repair or replace????

emoney

Commander
Re: Repair or replace????

First things first, you should probably ask a Moderator to combine your two threads into one. They don't like multiples on the same question.

I kinda agree with Roscoe about the stuck ring idea. Won't cost anything to look inside there and spray some solvent. Even the decarb may help a ton, you never know. I can't imagine the cost of a 92 Merc 115 would be the same as fixing this 120 you've got, but what do I know. For the record, I think they have the same lower unit, as I know the '96 Force was using Mercury bottom halves. I'm bringing that up because those lowers are getting a little tough to find because of the fact they were used on so many different motors. In other words, you don't gain anything by changing to the Mercury when it comes to the gears.

You've got nothing to lose by trying to fix the Force here, and if nothing else, should give that a thought. Something else to consider is if your lower unit is good, it's worth quite a few dollars, so if you really want the Merc, I'd be willing to wager you could get $800 easy for the LU and that can come off the price. Personally, I really like my 120. She's a real trooper, at least she has been, and it's a lot easier to work on, imho.

Oh, and yes, it should be a "bolt on" as I'm pretty sure they used the same brackets. Measure it, but I'd bet it's the same. I know the controls will work. The wiring will be different, maybe, but your '96 also has Merc ignition technology.