Installed new impeller, all seems well have a question

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok well i winterized my boat today, and when doing so i installed a new imeller. All seemed to go well and i beleive it shifted ok. I got it to engage forward, neutral and reverse hoever i want to make sure i still did it correctly when installing. I removed the propeller beforehand to make it a little easier to not knock it out of gear however i know when i was reinstalling the lower unit into the upper in order to get the splines to engage i did not want to turn the prop shaft so i turned the shaft that runs the impeller clockwise (me and a friend would put the lower up and if it didnt mate, we would lower it turn the shaft clockwise and reinstall until it mated properly. could this have knocked it out of gear in any way? I know i got three shifts when moving the remote (engaged a gear when put forward, came out of a gear when in neutral and engaged a gear when moved to reverse) but i had a friend watch for me and i dont know if he made sure to look that the prop was spinning in the correct direction. could the gears have been reversed in any way meaning F is R and vise versa?

just been sitting here thinking and remembered reading all the improper shift shaft mating problems people had making shifting weird. But mostly i read of them losing a gear or popping out of gear. i know when i reinstalled it the lower unit shift linkage was facing straight forward and we took care not to turn the prop shaft, but we did turn the water pump shaft wanna make sure that could not have screwed up the gears?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Installed new impeller, all seems well have a question

With the drive on the boat and the shifter in neutral, the prop should freely spin both directions.

With the boat in forward, the prop should spin clockwise and a ratcheting sound heard and should lock if trying to turn counter-clockwise.

With the boat in reverse, the prop should spin counter-clockwise and be locked if trying to turn clockwise.
Does yours do that?

Mark

paczowski123

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not around the boat anymore ill have to check that tomorrow. I'm sure it's just me worrying and doubting myself as I always do after I finish something for the first time thinking I forgot something. Ill check on that to be sure however. Thanks for the response.

EddiePetty

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If the drive shifted correctly after the reinstall...quit worrying (about that)

Now, did you replace, or at least verify that the quadring was in position and the lube oil level correct?

BDL123

Cadet

With the drive on the boat and the shifter in neutral, the prop should freely spin both directions.

With the boat in forward, the prop should spin clockwise and a ratcheting sound heard and should lock if trying to turn counter-clockwise.

With the boat in reverse, the prop should spin counter-clockwise and be locked if trying to turn clockwise.
Does yours do that?

Mark

Before I open a new post thought I would reply here.

Replaced the impeller in my LU, got the outdrive put back together and connected to boat. I then placed in fwd, spun the prop CW and get the ratcheting as expected and not able to turn CCW. All good. Put in neutral and prop spins freely both directions....again all good. Place in Reverse and spun CW and it locked but when turning CCW the ratcheting is not as pronounced as what I heard when it was in forward. My question is should the ratcheting be the same when in gear? This was my first attempt and do not want to have issues when on the lake next spring.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Before I open a new post thought I would reply here.

Best to start a new thread of your own, this thread belongs to paczowski123