What are your storage fees for winter?

Black Snow Slide

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just payed $780.00 for the season. Indoors and heated at 55 degrees. It is a deal from the marina where I slip Sam I Am. I am 27' long 8.5' beam, and will be stored on the trailer. 1st day in is November 1 and have to be out by the end of April. I am also allowed to do work on my boat while in storage. Seemed too good to be true so they put it in writing and I wrote the check.

What are you all paying?

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: What are your storage fees for winter?

$0 We just stick it in the garage at the cabin ;) Before the cabin I used to pay 3 cases of budwiser for storage in my buddies pole barn.

I pay approx $1000.00 for package. Includes taking out of water, winterizing, hull bio-wash, shrink wrap, storage for up to 12 months, and spring check of everything, and relaunch. Trailer stays at marina during summer. All I have to do is tie it up at the marina dock, and pick it up next spring!

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

I just cover it up in the driveway.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant

I pay $50./month for an unheated pole barn.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I just payed $780.00 for the season. Indoors and heated at 55 degrees. It is a deal from the marina where I slip Sam I Am. I am 27' long 8.5' beam, and will be stored on the trailer. 1st day in is November 1 and have to be out by the end of April. I am also allowed to do work on my boat while in storage. Seemed too good to be true so they put it in writing and I wrote the check.

What are you all paying?

that sounds like a great deal. $130/month heated for >27'. Is it a single unit, or are you sharing a large building? (I assume the latter).

You don't say where you are but obviously hard freezes are a concern. I'd still drain what you can and antifreeze what you can't; power failures occur in severe weather, and "their insurance" won't keep that from happening.

And if it's a shared facility you want to use good judgment about stuff that might be stolen or more likely, borrowed. Do what you need to to keep an honest man honest. Even a dust cover will serve.

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pay nothing.I drained the water,changed the oil,changed gear oil,fogged the engine,threw a tarp over it and parked in the back yard. Now sit and wait for spring. It saves alot of money for fuel the following year doing things this way. My boat is only 20ft,which makes for easier storage.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

sounds like the question should be phrased, "For those who pay to store boats, what do you pay and what do you get?" And of course regional info would be relevant.

Which is why I didn't reply to discuss the several ways my boats and trailers are scattered around and moored or stored.

Thalasso

Commander

Inside, climate controlled. 60 degree's 45% relative humidity. 34 ft Nov. to April. $534.00.No winterizing, no stretch wrap

Petty Officer 1st Class

Inside, climate controlled. 60 degree's 45% relative humidity. 34 ft Nov. to April. $534.00.No winterizing, no stretch wrap
What happens if the power is cut off for a couple days,does your block freeze and crack?

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

What happens if the power is cut off for a couple days,does your block freeze and crack?

Guess that would depend on how cold it would get inside the building.

You'd hope they would have backup generators to run the environmentals should something like that happen; especially if they are housing 34 foot boats or larger.....those sleds cost quite a few pennies....

Mark

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

I use my boat more in the winter than I do in the summer, boat year 'round here in 'Bama.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

That's a great deal, I wonder how far away you are? Hmmmmm???

LK

Thalasso

Commander

Located in PGH Pa. Doubt your anywhere close or you would have known about it. There is only two places near here.

No. The storage facility is under ground. It maintains a constant temp. The controlled area just eliminates the dampness and chance of mold

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Its stored on a lift, same price winter or summer (OB so I can use it if the cove isn't ice). I "own" it, but will pay about $1500/month for the next 20 years or so.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm with OldJeep at the $0 as it goes into the garage behind the cabin. ...no wait... I did have to build the garage to fit the boat. So it's big enough to fit two boats but was built for my new one. Let's give it 2/3 of the cost, and if I amortize that over 20 years, then I guess I'm paying about $2000 a year to store my boat. ...no wait... I have the opportunity cost of not having that money. Nope that's okay because my I sometimes suck at investing so maybe I come out ahead by spending the money.
Anyway, it's not as free as it could be but it's about what I spend on fuel to boat.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Its stored on a lift, same price winter or summer (OB so I can use it if the cove isn't ice). I "own" it, but will pay about $1500/month for the next 20 years or so.

$18,000 a year? I'll keep it on a lift for you for $15,000. Is this a lift on a pier, or dry stack?

And Rallyart makes a good point people often overlook: storing stuff at home costs you part of your mortgage payment, or your building/maintenance costs including tax and insurance. If you have acres and acres, or unused out buildings, it's negligable, but if you clear out a suburban garage to stuff a boat in there, it's a cost.

tpenfield

Staff member

And Rallyart makes a good point people often overlook: storing stuff at home costs you part of your mortgage payment, or your building/maintenance costs including tax and insurance. If you have acres and acres, or unused out buildings, it's negligable, but if you clear out a suburban garage to stuff a boat in there, it's a cost.

What is the cost and can you go to the mortgage and insurance company, etc. to get some money back if you seek alternate storage?