Boat set up for Mercury or Johnson/Evinrude?

bart98stang

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey fellas

Could someone smarter than me regarding boats please answer my question. I just acquired a '92 Sunbird SPL 194 complete in pretty good shape except for carpet and no outboard. They person I bought it from stated that it was set up for a Mercury, however, it has OMC controls. I did a little research and if I'm correct OMC outboard controls are for Johnson/Evinrude outboards? Thank you very much

2012-10-15_14-30-10_610.jpg 2012-10-15_14-30-31_381.jpg

82rude

Rear Admiral
Re: Boat set up for Mercury or Johnson/Evinrude?

that is a j/e control alright.send a pic of the other end of the controls thats the only thing id be worried about is if the last owner made up some sort of frankenstine rig.

bart98stang

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here you go, thank you sir!

1350331255234.jpg

82rude

Rear Admiral

maybe somebody familar with elect plugs can chime in i was more curious about the actual shift and throttle cables.what do you want to put on the boat anyways? id certianly not let whatever you have now stop you from getting what you want .get a motor with controls and cables included in the deal.the elect cable has nothing really to do with that shifter as if i see corectly in the pic your key is dashmounted?lets see the cable ends .hopefully somebody will see and send you on the right track if im not around ,lots of smart cookies here.

bart98stang

Petty Officer 2nd Class

1350333587083.jpg

I'm sorry, here is the pic of the throttle and shift cable. I want to use whatever the boat is set up for. If it's set up for Johnson/Evinrude than I will buy a J/E outboard and same it it's set up for a Mercury. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid is what I always say. yest the key is dash mounted. Thanks again.

82rude

Rear Admiral

they look just like my j/e cables.what size motor was on there ?still if you decide to stay with j/e get the controls also if you can that way if you run into any issues you have a known good part.

bart98stang

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I really appreciate your help!! I'm not sure what was the last motor on there, the guy that I got it from never had a motor on it either and he told me it was set up for a Mercury. Thanks again!