Should I Remove Motor?

BigAlinNS

Cadet
Hey All.

Single 350 Mercuiser in a 1984 Formula LS242. Motor rebuilt by a previous owner 7 to 8 years ago. I've had the boat 2 years and have done nothing major to it. Run it up here in Nova Scotia in both fresh and salt water. I would like to replace the starter, spark plugs, risers, boots, etc. Looks like a fella my size could get stuck in the engine compartment to never return again. Is it common to pull the motor to replace a starter? Doesn't look like much involved with pulling it. Any advice?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Should I Remove Motor?

No, It's not common to pull the engine to replace the starter, but it does happen on occasion.

Normal is one handed using the Braille method of work, while bleeding and cursing profusely.

There are actually a few boats out there the starter is easy to get to.

Bondo

Staff member

Hey All.

Single 350 Mercuiser in a 1984 Formula LS242. Motor rebuilt by a previous owner 7 to 8 years ago. I've had the boat 2 years and have done nothing major to it. Run it up here in Nova Scotia in both fresh and salt water. I would like to replace the starter, spark plugs, risers, boots, etc. Looks like a fella my size could get stuck in the engine compartment to never return again. Is it common to pull the motor to replace a starter? Doesn't look like much involved with pulling it. Any advice?

Ayuh,.... If you've got the means to put the motor on a stand,... Go for it...

Lotsa things are Easier outa the hull...

Pull the drive, wires, 'n hoses, 2 bolts in the back, 4 in the front, 'n it's Out...

Normal is one handed using the Braille method of work, while bleeding and cursing profusely.

That Defines bein' a Mechanic,...

More so on boats,..?? Maybe.....

BigAlinNS

Cadet

Hey, thanks for the advice.

I think I'll pull the motor and work on it in the shop over the winter.

What looks like four lag bolts hold the engine mounts to the hull. Any advice on removing these? Man, lag bolts holding a 350 down just don't seem right...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Remove the lag bolts. Those mounts will be handy to set the engine on blocks with.

Bondo

Staff member

Hey, thanks for the advice.

I think I'll pull the motor and work on it in the shop over the winter.

What looks like four lag bolts hold the engine mounts to the hull. Any advice on removing these? Man, lag bolts holding a 350 down just don't seem right...

Ayuh,... Sounds like ya might be Well equipped,...
If so, an impact, 'n swivel pops those lags out, Quick, 'n Easy...

With air tools, 'n an overhead hook, havin' the motor on the floor on blocks can be a 1/2 hour operation, so long as there ain't to much Boat in the way....

Good time to check for Rot in those wooden motor mounts, the rest of the hull too...

'n them 1/2" lags will hold bigger badder motors than yers,...

4 lags a couple inches deep, in solid wood is a mighty strong joint...

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

Cmon, try the bleeding contortionist maneuver before you pull the motor. Starter and Risers arent usually part of the tune up kit. You sure your starter and risers are bad?

BigAlinNS

Cadet

I would try the contortionist thing, but pulling the motor doesn't seem like such a big deal (yeah yeah famous last words). I've only had the boat two Summers and although the previous owner took good care of it, I'm the kind of person that needs to know what he is dealing with. I do take it off shore (within reason), four kids and a wife always with me so I need to stack all the odds of getting home in my favor.

The starter does drag a bit once warmed up and seems a bit tired. I know the starter thing could be caused by other issues, but troubleshhooting will be easier on a stand. Figure if I'm doing the starter, plugs, etc. Its worth the time to do as little contorting as possible.

Artficialreef, to quote Bond-o, "Ayuh". I just noticed you are in Florida. Perhaps spoiled with weather:) I can work on the motor inside but not the boat ... blowing snow and dark at supper time pretty soon here... laughing, aren't you?

Good advice about using the blocks to set the motor down on and being able to check the rest of the engne compartment.

Thanks to the three of you.