Starter controls for 1991 Bass Buggy?

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
We bought a 1991 18' Bass Buggy this year and it has an electric start 50 horse Mercury 2 stroke motor on it. I had some problems starting it this past week and wonder if I am doing it right. It has the push key to choke. The problem is it floods very easily when I go to start it. How much should I normally have to hold the key in to start it and is there anything else I am supposed to be doing? Used boat no instructions.

sawbld

Cadet
Re: Starter controls for 1991 Bass Buggy?

Pretty much what I have, are you sure you’re flooding it or starving it, mine won’t start in just neutral, I could crabk on it all day..
On a cold motor, I throttle up about 1/3, push and turn and she starts within 3 seconds.. Then Throttle down.
Other than that, you may need a little motor tune up

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

And make sure you pump up the fuel primer bulb until firm before a cold start.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks I will try that before I start looking at the needle valves and carb. floats. I had been just trying to start it in neutral because mine doesn't have the button to take it out of gear on the top of the handle but I can push the button in, down on the side and maybe go past neutral. These controls are slightly different from any I've had previously, so I got to wondering if I was trying to start it the right way. If I pump the primer bulb too much it will drip gas before I even start cranking.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you may have a bad needle valve (seat) if it starts leaking when you pump the bulb. Especially if this is a recent problem and didn't occur before.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

I have a 1965 50 merc and the carbs are touchy and will flood easily.I squeeze the bulb only till it feels firm.
To this point it operates correctly.I'm sure I'm on borrowed time but seldom go very far.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

I know this is a reply to an old post but I wanted to tell what happened with the flooding problem. I removed the carbs and took them in to the local mercury dealer and had them rebuilt. I couldn't believe what a difference it made for starting. It doesn't flood or drip anymore from squeezing the primer bulb now. It starts now when the key is turned for a second or two cold and a fraction of a second when warmed up. I bought an owners manual as well as a repair manual and found out that I shouldn't have to do anything except turn the key and maybe push to choke when it is cold. When you buy an old boat and motor sometimes it takes some time and money to get things right but now our boating should be a lot more fun. Thanks