Have I Done winterizing Correctly so far?

Seaman84

Seaman
I have a 2004 Glastron Sx 195 with a Volvo Penta 5.0 GL-E So far what Ive done for winterizing IsI Ran the Engine with Muffs On For about 30 Minutes, Then I Proceeded to take the Flame arrestor off, and Fog the Engine Through the Carb (while Running) Until It smoked and the Engine Stalled out, Then I took the 2 Plugs off the Engine Block on each Side, & The 2 Plugs for the Exhaust Manifolds Until there was no water Leaking, then I disconnected the Hose to the Raw Water Pump, and Both Hoses to the Exhaust manifolds, Then I poured a Little bit of antifreeze On each of the Disconnected hoses till saw it Coming out of the Plugs, Then I put the Plugs Back It both Engine Block & Exhaust Manifolds, Then I filled up both Exhaust Manifolds With Rv & Marine Antifreeze, And I also Filled up the Engine through the Water pump hose. & I also Replaced Spark Plugs

Now I still have to do the Oil Change and grease Gimbal, And gear oil, but im Waiting on my tools to get here.I want to know if so far Ive been Doing the Right Steps, In regards to Draining? I don't want to deal with Problems In the Spring. Thanks All Answers Appreciated!

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Have I Done winterizing Correctly so far?

There are various methods that arrive at the same result. Draining the engine, then adding antifreeze is OK, and it sounds like you did things properly.

Keep in mind that another approach would be to suck the AF up through the cooling intake via the muffs (after your 30 minute warm-up) and then just drain the block and the manifolds. Your engine and manifolds would be empty and your sea water pump and related intake hoses, etc would be full of anti-freeze. The advantage of this approach is that there is less to disconnect and re-connect.

Other approaches involve just draining everything and not adding antifreeze, which involves disconnecting all sorts of things.

As long as the water has been removed and either air or pure AF remains, then any method that achieves those things is OK.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Keep in mind that another approach would be to suck the AF up through the cooling intake via the muffs (after your 30 minute warm-up) and then just drain the block and the manifolds.

That method is also a good way of finding a cracked block in the spring. Happens all the time.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I do the oil change, leg oil, then fog the engine.
Then I drain the block. I don't add antifreeze.
Now you have to warm the engine again to get that oil warm enough to drain and carry with it all the crap that its holding in suspension.

tpenfield

Staff member

That method is also a good way of finding a cracked block in the spring. Happens all the time.

Yes, I would agree, if all that was done is to run antifreeze through the engine and nothing is drained.

However, if you run the antifreeze and drain the block & manifolds down, you do not have the risk of cracked block/manifolds.

The benefit of running the antifreeze is to protect the components/hoses, etc between the outdrive and the engine.