A few general rebuild questions.

First I'll probably add a couple to these as I think of them. But I do have a couple now.

1st: Has anyone had exposed pedestal bases powdercoated?

Concerns. All pedestals are the wedge/taper lock series. So I don't want the inside of the base getting covered in paint. Also I'm concerned about the aluminum being weakened during the heating process when being powdercoated.

2nd: If using 3/4" ply for decks, would it be OK to use a router to route out the underside of lids so that the carpet can wrap around it, and no increase the lids "thickness"

Only concern here is that I create a weak spot on the edges of each lid. Maybe the reduced thickness won't matter if starting with 3/4"?

Re: A few general rebuild questions.

Actually I thought of another.

How would you go about titling and registering a built from scratch boat?

What constitutes a built from scratch boat? (Can any of these rebuilds be re-titled/registered since the ONLY thing used was the original hull?)

jbcurt00

Staff member

OST where are you planning to register the boat? Canada, US? Which US state? It varies quite wildly.........

Will the deck be carpeted too & then an aluminum trim be used around each hatch or lid?

Maybe:
Carpetedhatch_zps76d11bb3.jpg

Boat registered in the US.

I was thinking about doing that with the carpet on all the edges. so with the main deck, and the hatch lids. Or, on the main deck wrap the carpet inside, but not under. Glue heavily, and staple.

Anyone have pedestal bases powdercoated?

jbcurt00

Staff member

This is from 2007, if nothing has changed (probably has) it sounds like it may take a couple trips to SOS: 1 to get forms & info needed, 2nd trip to submit paperwork...

Any of these may make it more or less difficult:

Is this aluminum hull new to you, w/ or w/out reg/title?

Or you have a bill of sale to you when you bought it?

Past registrations in your name?

Does it have a manufacturer's (Starcraft or other) serial # or HIN?

Is it obvious that at some point it had #'s & they've been removed?

Attachments

• WV Verification-of-VIN.pdf
    294.1 KB · Views: 0

This is from 2007, if nothing has changed (probably has) it sounds like it may take a couple trips to SOS: 1 to get forms & info needed, 2nd trip to submit paperwork...

Any of these may make it more or less difficult:

Is this aluminum hull new to you, w/ or w/out reg/title?

Does it have a manufacturer's (Starcraft or other) serial # or HIN?

Is it obvious that at some point it had #'s & they've been removed?

That was for WV not MI

How will any of those make it more or less difficult?

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

Curing power coat does not take enough heat to effect your aluminum pedestals.

jbcurt00

Staff member

That was for WV not MI
I'm pretty sure that the Title for a home-made boat thread posted in The Michigan sportsman forum is for MI not WV:

The Michigan Sportsman Forums > Out and About > Boating and Boat Rigging > Title for Home-made Boat ?

How will any of those make it more or less difficult?

Is this aluminum hull new to you, w/ or w/out reg/title? If it's already titled, to you or the previous owner, it can be difficult to get the state to change the details of an already issued title. If you got registration & the state has already recorded the HIN, it too may be difficult to get them to change for the same reasons it's tough to change title details

Both of these are just more of the same from above, but a Bill of Sale only might be slightly less difficult to register/title in MI as a PARTS boat that you used as the basis for a NEWLY built boat.

But from that link I posted before, it sounds like the state may just want a materials list & receipts from where you purchased the materials, a bill of sale & you're done.

Does it have a manufacturer's (Starcraft or other) serial # or HIN? If there is a # of any kind on the boat, and it is still on the boat (or it clearly looks like it's been damaged/altered/removed) the state may or may not make it difficult for you to re-reg/title the boat, because the # may show up in their system, still listing a previous owner. Now you have 2 problems, if you didn't get clear title & registration when you bought it. If there are #'s, the state may want you to show proof of the legal transfer of the boat's ownership from original owner through to you.

Is it obvious that at some point it had #'s & they've been removed? See above

That flesh out the details any better....

But that ^^^ is based on limited info readily available online from google & the state of MI's boat reg/title website. Mixed w/ some of what I've found to be true in WV and by following reg/title threads on iboats & other forums.