1988 88SPL Sputters and dies at WOT

thesignguy

Seaman
Hello All,

So after a great season of having the boat in the water, today it started giving some trouble.

The engine has run great all season, all I do is put gas (2 stroke mix) in her and run it with no worries. Today as I took the family out for one last ride before I put the boat up for the season, about 45 minutes into our run around the lake the engine stuttered at WOT :confused:.

In May of this year I replaced the plugs, changed the lower drive unit fluid, replaced the fuel line from the tank and replaced the squeeze bulb to the engine before I put the boat in the water. That is all I have done to the engine since I have had it for three years now.

I thought that the stutter was because I was low on gas, had 1/8 left and that was more then enough to get from our house to the ramp. So I put in a few more gallons of premix at our dock and thought everything was good. Started up as normal and I set off to the ramp. As I move the throttle up The boat accelerates as it always has but after maybe 10-15 seconds, the engine starts to sputter, shutter, loses power and die. I throttle down to half and it resumes running with normal power, so I increase throttle to about 3/4 and after 5-10 seconds the engine does it again. So I drive the boat at about 1/2 throttle to the boat ramp.

I'm thinking it's time for a carb rebuild, maybe a float is sticking or a jet got clogged? Is there a fuel filter clogged (I don't know where it would be though) that is on the engine? Before I order a rebuild kit, I would to know what others may think may be causing this. I pulled the boat out for the winter and it will be stored in our heated garage (the truck stays outside :)). I'll be cleaning and waxing the hull and winterizing the engine in the next few days. Any input would be great, Thanks!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 88SPL Sputters and dies at WOT

Certainly sounds like you are having a carb issue, like a dirty high speed circuit. There is a filter at the pump, and possibly one inline if added.

Is it a built in tank? Possibly anti siphon valve issue? Or tank vent issue?

thesignguy

Seaman

It's a built in tank and what is a anti siphon valve and where would I find it?

When I replaced the fuel lines I saw no filter in line from the tank to the engine. I just assumed that the engine would have one on it somewhere near the pump. When I was looking for a rebuilt kit here I also looked for a fuel pump but none was offered. I'll have to go through the manual tomorrow and see what I can find.

Edit: the boat is a 88 Starcraft Medalist, so there is no anti siphon valve. If it was a venting issue running the boat for 10 minutes back to the dock should have delivered the same result as running it at WOT??

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Another possibility. The fuel pump may be weak. When it starts to bog down next time you run the boat in the lake, try constantly priming the fuel hose bulb. This will force extra fuel into the carbs. If it runs just fine at WOT as long as you constantly prime the fuel hose bulb, the pump may be weak and in need of replacement.

thesignguy

Seaman

Good advise, I'll check that as well. If the fuel pump is fairly easy to get at I just might replace it along with the carb rebuild.