Newbie with too much boat, need anvice on interior walls.

River12

Cadet
IMG_1692.jpgIMG_1686.jpg

Hi, i just purchased this boat and would appreciate any advice on rebuilding the interior. if i write something that doesn't make sense please excuse my ignorance, i am new to all of this.
I want to refinish the walls and floors with wood and im not sure how to start. I started pulling off the wall paper and noticed that both side windows have leaked in the past and the wood was rotten and damp. Now i have most of the rotted wood removed, exposing the fiberglass. Do i need to use marine plywood and then use cedar or bamboo strips over top. Can i apply horizontal wood support strips and just glue the wood planks to it. I would really appreciate some advice, im looking for a wood strip type finish, going vertically up the walls where ever there is existing wall paper. i dont want to use veneer, any ideas?
Much appreciated

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Re: Newbie with too much boat, need anvice on interior walls.

Your finding of rotted wood raises a yellow flag. Before spending money on the interior, make sure you have a solid foundation to build on. I would inspect the deck, stringers, bulkheads and transom before I put any hard earned $$ into the interior. If you don’t know what to look for, hire a marine surveyor and make sure to communicate your expectation very clearly to him/her. Some if these guys’ standards are very different than yours especially if you are an engineer or a perfectionist.

With that said, I believe this is close to what are you looking for
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...o?pid=51940&familyName=Teak+and+Holly+Plywood

River12

Cadet

Thank you for helping out, finding it quite hard on whether to use furring strips, insulation, screws or glue along with many other factors.
I had the boat looked at mind you not by a licensed professional, everything is clean dry and straight..Even the Detroits are dry!! It is quite obvious the wood is wet around the window seams and spread downward but less rotted the farther away you get from the window.
I will keep updating with pics, thanks!
Your finding of rotted wood raises a yellow flag. Before spending money on the interior, make sure you have a solid foundation to build on. I would inspect the deck, stringers, bulkheads and transom before I put any hard earned $$ into the interior. If you don?t know what to look for, hire a marine surveyor and make sure to communicate your expectation very clearly to him/her. Some if these guys? standards are very different than yours especially if you are an engineer or a perfectionist.

With that said, I believe this is close to what are you looking for
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...o?pid=51940&familyName=Teak+and+Holly+Plywood

jbcurt00

Staff member

I suspect this is a quite large boat, given the fairly large salon & a stairwell to the left in the 2nd pix posted, the Detroits reference makes it even more likely to be a LARGE boat....

Posting some info about the boat would help, and as always pix pix pix ;)

Welcome to iboats, I look forward to seeing the wood wall & floor going into place.....

River12

Cadet

Thanks, not too sure how i can post pics to my profile so i attached some here.
Its a 1992 37' Topaz convertible, love these lines and couldn't resist! It is powered with 2 671 TI 450 HP.
Any advice about posting before and afters to my profile?
IMG_1703.jpgIMG_1702.jpg197533_10151249688157667_1049794215_n.jpg

I suspect this is a quite large boat, given the fairly large salon & a stairwell to the left in the 2nd pix posted, the Detroits reference makes it even more likely to be a LARGE boat....

Posting some info about the boat would help, and as always pix pix pix ;)

Welcome to iboats, I look forward to seeing the wood wall & floor going into place.....

Last edited by a moderator:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Don't worry about posting pics to your profile, post them directly to your thread for more and better help.

A photobucket account (free) will help you post nice big pics to your threads that can be seen easily.

jbcurt00

Staff member

yep, 37' qualifies as quite large to me....

Click the tab 'Notifications' across the top of a forum page, it opens your private message page

Along the left column of that page, there is an 'Edit your signature' link, click that & it takes you to a page to edit your signature line

You can post pix & etc there, like I have of my project pages, my non-smoking banner for my wife (the Admiral :)) and a pix honoring my best bud Majic, our big gahloot...

I don't think you can ad pix to your profile page like on some forums.....

But start a project thread, or modify this 1, then link the thread in your signature line...

sasto

Captain

Is this fiberglassed walls (bulkheads) and the interior around the side windows in the salon? If so. What is on there now? Luan?

River12

Cadet

All good advice, i will put some time away and get myself organized this week.
Thanks for the help.
Don't worry about posting pics to your profile, post them directly to your thread for more and better help.

A photobucket account (free) will help you post nice big pics to your threads that can be seen easily.

River12

Cadet

Great, thanks.. Looks easy enough.

River12

Cadet

There was cheap wood around the windows in the salon, covered in wallpaper. The bulkhead around the bathroom covered in the same material is very solid although i cant quite tell what its made from.
When i peel back the wall paper the glue is covering the surface, i do suspect i can glue paneling onto that surface because its solid. In the salon, once i removed most of the rotted wood around the window and window frame, there is only fiberglass visible.

What I'm not sure of, is how to mount paneling onto the fiberglass. What is the easiest way to provide a moisture barrier and the least difficult way to mount the wood strips. Is an insulation necessary, a fan to keep things dry?

I'm sure it's quiet obvious i am all new to this.
Thanks

sasto

Captain

Problem is River...as far as I see.....you would be best to remove the window frame, replace the interior with the same thickness wood, and rebed the window frame with the proper adhesive/sealant. Otherwise, I would think your origional problem will return.

Is this possible for you?

River12

Cadet

Hi, i managed to remove the window frame in one piece and can see the metal frame and window. It seems they resealed it from the outside and some is coming through to the inside. I will however clean away as much as i can and re-seal the window while it is open.

I guess keeping things original might be a good option however im trying to stay a bit lighter since I'm adding real wood. Is there another product that would act as a moisture barrier instead of all that heavy marine plywood?

Thanks for the help, appreciated.

sakesler

Recruit

River, How are you coming along with your interior wall refit/replacement? I've got a similar issue with my salon cabin walls. Soft wood behind wallpaper below the side wall windows, now allowing the paper to peel in multiple places. Looks like I'm replacing all this spring.

I'd really love to see/hear about your process, as I've done lots of mechanical and electrical work, but little wood working. Thanks.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hi, sakesler.

Welcome to iboats. :)

We are glad to have you here and would like to hear about your project. This, however, is River12's thread and it is not polite to hijack it with questions about your project.

We would like you to start your own thread about your project.

Thanks for your cooperation. :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Welcome aboard sakesler. It looks like the OP (River12) hasn't been back since the day he registered. Best to start a new thread of your own. Good luck :)

sakesler

Recruit

Sorry JB,

I was hoping to stir River's interest and have him continue his thread sharing his experience with his project, that someone like myself reading could learn by it.

No intent of hijacking his thread, just sharing...