fuel gauge

popey

Petty Officer 3rd Class
my fuel gauge is not working properly anymore. It is a standard equipment. not sure, what is wrong. It goes down to half and then directly to empty. While cruising with the waves, the gauge goes all the way up ab down, but when fuel is less than half, it sticks to empfty, a hit on the dashboard can help, but not all times.

Any idea of this problem? Any information on were to get a new suitable gauge? The fuel thank is not very accessible - therefore to change the item in the tank is not the prior thing I wish to do.

Thanks an happy boating

popey:)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Re: fuel gauge

Not familiar with your electrical/electronic moxy. The fuel level measurement system is a gauge and a variable resistance in series (in line with each other) stretched across the battery voltage. The measurement is made by the float arm in the tank following the level of fuel. What you are telling me is that it works and then as the fuel level drops it hits a spot where it ceases to work.

Sorry to be a messenger of bad news, but you have an open circuit in your fuel sending unit. From full to the break point you have a continuous electrical circuit and as the float moves the resistance of the float resistor varies, varying the reading on the meter. When it drops to/below the break the current stops and the meter, drops to the inactive state....empty. For the record, the fuel sensor is a wiper arm on this wire wound resistance and over time the wiper or the wire will wear through and the open circuit occurs.

Mark

Re: fuel gauge

+1 hate to say but it looks like the sender so its time to figure how to get to it and what the ohm rating is so you can order a new one