470 Oil Capacity

luckyluke

Seaman Apprentice
Have a 470 Mercruiser (s/n: A452410). I bought the boat in August and changed the oil and filter as part of winterization. Looking up capacities in the manual it appears the engine takes 5L.

I siphoned out the oil, installed new filter and added 5 L. Checked the oil, appears low (just under the ADD dot). Started her up, ran for about 10 min, shut down, allowed about 15 min for oil to settle and checked again; same spot (just below ADD).

Looking at the previous owner's service records (I know, lucky to have 'em) I see the oil pan and dipstick tube were changed in 2007 at a dealership with Merc parts.

Now, what should I trust? Could the pan be deeper? The dip stick tube longer?

I'm considering adding another litre just to see if it's in between the ADD and FULL dots.

I would like to have a reference point to observe.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 470 Oil Capacity

You have a model 165,

Untitled1.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

isn't it at least 1L between ADD and FULL?

Not always, as long as you are between the full and add mark, you are fine, if you are just down a bit from the full mark, call it good. Also make sure what the oil level is when the boat is in the water. That's where it counts. To much oil, and the crankshaft will hit the oil and you aerate the oil. Not a good thing.

luckyluke

Seaman Apprentice

Not always, as long as you are between the full and add mark, you are fine, if you are just down a bit from the full mark, call it good. Also make sure what the oil level is when the boat is in the water. That's where it counts. To much oil, and the crankshaft will hit the oil and you aerate the oil. Not a good thing.

10-4

thanks again

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer

i was shocked when i rebuilt my 470 and started to add oil i put 5L in and it showed on the dip stick it was at the add mark did what you did started the motor stop and let it settle and there was less, then i remembered the oil filter had to take some oil, put in one more liter so with a total of 6L it was at the full mark and all was good.

luckyluke

Seaman Apprentice

i was shocked when i rebuilt my 470 and started to add oil i put 5L in and it showed on the dip stick it was at the add mark did what you did started the motor stop and let it settle and there was less, then i remembered the oil filter had to take some oil, put in one more liter so with a total of 6L it was at the full mark and all was good.

Thanks...... This is a great forum.