V6 Engine Removal

NZ-Kevin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm planning to take the V6 out of my boat and put it in the garage on an engine stand while I fit a new drive. Any general advice for problems to watch out for, and what servicing would be worth doing to the engine while it's out. Without going mad and completely rebuilding it I'm guessing there are a few jobs that I should do while it is so accessable and probably some things I should check as well. Any advice much appreciated. I'll probably be back for more advice about changing the drive later, but one thing at a time.

NHGuy

Captain
Re: V6 Engine Removal

Drive service on Mercruiser V6 doesn't require engine removal. What is your year, version, etc?
It would be even clearer if you had the serial numbers for the engine, transom assembly and drive.
If you are going change the transom assy, yes you would pull the motor.

NZ-Kevin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'm not servicing the drive, I'm replacing it. Currently has an MR drive and I'll be replacing it with an Alpha unit. I already have an Alpha transom plate and a new engine adaptor plate, just looking for a leg now. Engine doesn't have a serial number where there should be one, maybe I'll find one once it is out of the boat.

Bondo

Staff member

I'm not servicing the drive, I'm replacing it. Currently has an MR drive and I'll be replacing it with an Alpha unit. I already have an Alpha transom plate and a new engine adaptor plate, just looking for a leg now. Engine doesn't have a serial number where there should be one, maybe I'll find one once it is out of the boat.

Ayuh,.... Donno why yer goin' through all the extra work,...

An Alpha 1 drive just bolts right onto what you've got already...

NZ-Kevin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Because the gimbal ring is worn out and the transom plate is badly corroded. I had planned to just swap the leg, but then found all the other problems.

NHGuy

Captain

OK so you are fitting a new transom assembly and the drive. So, what the heck year and version is this setup? It still tells us a lot.
Also does it leak, rattle, smoke or do any other wrong stuff?

NZ-Kevin

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Unfortunately it's not simple, but I'll try and explain the situation. The boat was built in around 1972 with a straight six 165hp engine and drive. The old leg had the serial number 4447730 on it. In around 2000 the old straight six was replaced with a V6, but retaining the original drive. I can't find a serial number on the V6, it isn't where I expected it to be -perhaps I'll find one while the engine is out.

The new transom is serial number 0F846103 and I have a new engine adaptor (part number 865657) serial number OM950448. I'm not sure if I really needed this but several people gave me different answers as to whether the original adaptor would fit an Alpha drive and this came up unused for not many dollars.

I haven't ever really used the boat apart from a couple of test runs, when I found the drive problems, so don't know how well the engine runs. In preparation to remove the engine I took the top of the exhausts off, and they will need a good clean out as they are corroded inside. Eventually I want to replace the whole exhaust manifolds with the aftermarket stainless steel ones, but not enough $$ in the budget yet.

I was looking for advice on what to check while the engine was on a stand in the garage and easy to get to. I'll definately be taking the exhaust manifolds off, and probably the inlet manifold (it has an old repair and lots of silicone round it and I want to check it all out). Take the rocker covers off and check the valve gear, hopefully not touch the heads (unless I find something nasty).

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

check if starter is marine. good time to change a starter if needed.
check torque on starter bolts regardless.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

The boat was built in around 1972

While you are doing all this work, be sure to check the transom thoroughly for rot. Chances are good that you will find a soft transom given the corrosion issues you describe. Without a solid transom, all this work is for nothing.

In preparation to remove the engine I took the top of the exhausts off, and they will need a good clean out as they are corroded inside.

If they are corroded inside, you can forget cleaning them out. How would you clean them? Muratic acid? All that corrosion and junk used to be metal. Cleaning them out will only lead to failure of the manifolds and water intrusion in the engine. Then you stand to lose your engine as well. Better to bite the bullet now and buy new manifolds and risers. Shop around and you can find them for a reasonable price. I bought mine here.