1966 Evinrude 18 stuck in reverse.

cbjfan75

Cadet
New to this whole outboard thing. Just acquired the above mentioned motor that runs great, however it is stuck in reverse. Any suggestions on where to start in repairing it or what a repar might cost? Thanks!

jasper60103

Commander
Re: 1966 Evinrude 18 stuck in reverse.

New to this whole outboard thing. Just acquired the above mentioned motor that runs great, however it is stuck in reverse. Any suggestions on where to start in repairing it or what a repar might cost? Thanks!

Start at the top and work your way down. First, is the shift lever stuck? Then I would check the shift linkage. Does the gearcase have oil in it?

Worst case, you're looking at a gearcase repair or replacement, but let's not assume the worst yet. Good luck.

cbjfan75

Cadet

The shifter moves from the neutral position into reverse and back. It was moving into forward, but seems to not want to now.
"Shift linkage"? Is this inside the lower unit or am I missing something from the outside. How do I determine if the case has oil in it?

Finding out I have a lot to learn!

jasper60103

Commander

The shifter moves from the neutral position into reverse and back. It was moving into forward, but seems to not want to now.
"Shift linkage"? Is this inside the lower unit or am I missing something from the outside. How do I determine if the case has oil in it?

Finding out I have a lot to learn!

Ok. Learning is fun. :)
Look for the shift linkage behind an oval tab on the side of the leg. Remove two screws and the cover and it should reveal the linkage as shown in the pic below. Verify the shift rod is connected and no play.

shiftrodconnector2.jpg

edit: Forgot to mention how to check the gearcase oil.
Slowly remove lower screw #44. Then loosen upper screw# 44 if necessary. Warning: Do not remove screw #45.
If you desire to change the oil, just completely remove upper screw #44 and allow the oil to drain. You should buy new washers for the drain/fill plugs and refill with 80-90W outboard gear oil.

http://www.marineengine.com/parts/v...ntage-evinrude-johnson/278779/27877900001.htm

Also, here's a video showing how to change gearcase oil for reference.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4sSYH16aHQ

cbjfan75

Cadet

Thanks Jasper. I'm currently in the middle of a 48 hour shift at work and won't get home until Tuesday, but you've got me excited to get home and to try and get down to the bottom of this.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have a feeling you are not on the water, yet just trying to shift on land?

If so, the prop has to be spun somewhat to get it to shift sometimes. Turn the prop by hand while shifting and it should now go into and out of gear. If I misread your post, disregard this.

If on the water and will not go out of reverse, I would look to the shift rod coupler first as mentioned above. Likely the shift rod has become disconnected.

cbjfan75

Cadet

On the water the boat wouldn't go any direction but backwards, even with selector in forward. On dry land is where I'm having issue no moving into forward, I'll give your tip a try as well, thanks!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Are you using a remote control or are you controlling at the motor? If remote control, disconnect the shift cable and try shifting manually, if it now works, cable is to blame.

cbjfan75

Cadet

It is a tiller steer, manual shifting control.

cbjfan75

Cadet

image.jpg
Found at least part of the issue.
Following Jasper's instructions found the lower rod isn't connected. Now, how to repair it. lol
Guessing I need to drain the oil and open up the lower portion?

Last edited:

cbjfan75

Cadet

:)You folks are awesome! I was able to loosen the screw, used a string to guide the rod into place and retightened it. Off to the lake I go!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 0

cbjfan75

Cadet

Well, it ran like a scalded dog. GPSed about 21MPH. apparently something was off with the staring box as halfway back to the ramp it felt as if it was losing power. Got home and discovered the starting box top was ripped open and the cord was melted inside. Now the task of finding a replacement.
image.jpg image.jpg

cbjfan75

Cadet

Found new starting unit locally for $25. Pretty happy with that. Hopefully I'm done with the snafu's and can get it fine tuned.

kfa4303

Banned

sweet. It should just bolt right in place. Keep us posted.

kfa4303

Banned

Hello again. Glad you got the new satarter bolted on. Your definitely not pumping water like you should. The simplest thing to try is to get a larger test tank and submerge the lower unit a few more inches. You want/need the water level to be 1-2 inches below the main exhaust port. Most of us use an old trash can, or 55 gallon drum. If that doesn't do it, then shut the motor down and drop the lower unit. Changing the impeller itself is very easy. You drop the LU, remove the waterpump housing slide the old impeller off the drive shaft and slide on the new one taking care to align the impeller key. You then lower the housing back on while rotating the drive shaft clockwise with your free hand at which point you'll feel the housing seat fully. You'll then need to re-install the lower unit taking care to see that the copper water uptake tube seats correctly in both the underside of the motor and the top of the waterpump housing. Here are some useful links. You can get the part right here at iboats and/or at NAPA as you mentioned.

http://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...4106=18&gd_search_14107=&session_id=057224909

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/columns/max/index7.htm

http://www.leeroysramblings.com/johnson_E-FD_15_18hp.html

http://video.search.yahoo.com/video...4+HP+Outboard&c=9&sigr=11a8qc450&fr=yfp-t-701 (different motor, but same basic procedure)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYuaEtIUpmI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcvOOucRB-0&feature=related (outboard in test tank)

cbjfan75

Cadet

Hello again. Glad you got the new satarter bolted on. Your definitely not pumping water like you should. The simplest thing to try is to get a larger test tank and submerge the lower unit a few more inches. You want/need the water level to be 1-2 inches below the main exhaust port. Most of us use an old trash can, or 55 gallon drum. If that doesn't do it, then shut the motor down and drop the lower unit. Changing the impeller itself is very easy. You drop the LU, remove the waterpump housing slide the old impeller off the drive shaft and slide on the new one taking care to align the impeller key. You then lower the housing back on while rotating the drive shaft clockwise with your free hand at which point you'll feel the housing seat fully. You'll then need to re-install the lower unit taking care to see that the copper water uptake tube seats correctly in both the underside of the motor and the top of the waterpump housing. Here are some useful links. You can get the part right here at iboats and/or at NAPA as mentioned.

Well, desired today to go ahead and remove and replace the impeller. Here is what was found when openining it up.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

What is with the frothy stuff inside? Is this normal? Also seeing as the impeller is curled over plan on replacing it. Found it available by tomorrow morning at the local O'Reilly Auto Parts. Unfortunately, it will probably by Saturday before I can install it. Anything else I should give a once over while I'm pulling things apart?