280 outdrive won't work

usschenango

Recruit
Help. my dads boat (20' Skip Jack) has been sitting in covered storage for a few years pulled it out to clean up but out drive does not go up or down. The two relays click so juice is getting to that black box above the motor that drives the up down . Pulled motor and checked for juice there but could not find any.

captmello

Captain
Re: 280 outdrive won't work

Welcome.

Did you try jumping the motor straight from the battery? This can tell you if the motor and lift mechanism are stuck, while bypassing the relay/limit switch box, How many wires does your tilt motor have?

usschenango

Recruit

Welcome.

Did you try jumping the motor straight from the battery? This can tell you if the motor and lift mechanism are stuck, while bypassing the relay/limit switch box, How many wires does your tilt motor have?

Thanks so much for getting back I jumped the motor it works fine I have two relays with 5 wires each and a limitor switch. I bypassed the limitor switch its good. The two relays have 5 wires each. when I hit the switch to go up or down the relays click telling me theres juice there but when I check the voltage at the motor nothing . I figure theres another switch, relay or ground somwere thats not working. im gussing its a contact as it was working fine when we parket it several years ago I just dont Know were to look.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are 2 power sources for the relays. One could be from the ignition which will only make the relays click. The other source back at the engine is for the actual power the relays supply to the motor.

The question is, what engine do you have, and is your tilt motor 2 or 4 wire?

usschenango

Recruit

There are 2 power sources for the relays. One could be from the ignition which will only make the relays click. The other source back at the engine is for the actual power the relays supply to the motor.

The question is, what engine do you have, and is your tilt motor 2 or 4 wire?

The engine is a 230D and there are two wires going to the tilt motor. We found the other power source and replaced the blown fuse which was located in the back of the engine. Thanks for the tip I would never have quessed there was another power source. We put a new fuse in and it blew right away, then we put a larger 30 amp and it seems to work. I then put a 20 amp back in (original size) and after a little bit it blew. After A beer or two we decided to go with A 30 amp fuse and call it good. What do you think?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Something is binding, or the motor is on it's last leg. If you just up the fuse size you stand a good chance of burning something up.

If you lift the drive up by hand, does it bind any? The bushings on the tilt pins can corrode and cause severe binding. Are you in salt water by any chance?