Tru Course steering question

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am trying to get the gear and shaft that holds the Trucourse cable to the intermediate housing out. I removed the one screw that supposedly holds the shaft in the cable drum but the shaft and gear will not budge. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Larry E

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: Tru Course steering question

penetrating oil, then a heel bar. the drum screw is all that is holding it.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Be sure to keep all the washers and bushings in order once you are able to pull the gear and shaft out. There is also a bushing cup that sits in the forward shaft support hole. It'll probably be chewed up. Once you get the shaft out and the drum removed, this would probably be a good time to lube the cableways. The cables on my '75 were extremely tight. I had to really strong arm the steering wheel while making turns. Lubricating the cables made all the difference in the world. Even if yours is not that bad, it's a good time to get some lube in there to make sure it does not get stiff.

Larry E

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Be sure to keep all the washers and bushings in order once you are able to pull the gear and shaft out. There is also a bushing cup that sits in the forward shaft support hole. It'll probably be chewed up. Once you get the shaft out and the drum removed, this would probably be a good time to lube the cableways. The cables on my '75 were extremely tight. I had to really strong arm the steering wheel while making turns. Lubricating the cables made all the difference in the world. Even if yours is not that bad, it's a good time to get some lube in there to make sure it does not get stiff.
What did you lube the cables with?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

What did you lube the cables with?

I anchored a vertical pole on the stern, then I clamped the cable and drum as high up on the pole as was possible. I sprayed (with a tube nozzle) Tri-Flow (with teflon) down each cableway as the cable was being drawn down into it. I had my son slowly turn the steering wheel.

When he reached lock, he turned in the opposite direction as I sprayed down the opposite cableway. I repeated this at least three times, the object being to get the lube as far along the cable as possible. For several years now, I can turn the steering wheel with just my finger.