running motor on hose with flush port

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class
well I have a quick question, my 2012 vp 5.0L has a flush port on the starboard side of the boat, can I use this instead of ear muffs? it T's into the same line coming in from the drive so I don't see why not...but just making sure. thanks

Nathan

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: running motor on hose with flush port

Sure, that's what it's there for. It actually works better than muffs.

Another good thing, if you are sitting in salt water, you can flush the engine while running at idle. Above idle, and you start sucking in salt water along with the water from the hose.

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sure, that's what it's there for. It actually works better than muffs.

Another good thing, if you are sitting in salt water, you can flush the engine while running at idle. Above idle, and you start sucking in salt water along with the water from the hose.

Thanks Don! I thought possibly it was only there for pouring in antifreeze in or something..just didn't want to go and do it and burn up the impeller.

Well I'm not in salt water but thats good to know. question: If you pull that cap off while in the water to flush with the hose wouldn't water rush in the boat because if it's connected to the intakes on the drive?

Nathan

Don S

The end of that hose should be well above the water line so water shouldn't come in at all. NEVER take that cap of, or forget to put it back in, or you will be replacing an impeller. With it off, loose, or not sealed properly, the pump will suck air, not water.

55evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I will make sure to remember to put it back on. Once again thanks Don!

Nathan

ewenm

Petty Officer 2nd Class

whats the procedure, connect it up turn on the hose and then turn on the motor i guess, does it work flushing the motor if the motor is off??

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I'd like to warn Volvo-Penta owners that not all V-P engine flush systems "T" into a cooling water supply line as described by the OP. The engine flush system on my 2002 V-P 5.0 GXiB connects to the block drains on the sides of the engine. The V-P manual for my engine specifically warns to NOT run the engine because water is not supplied to the raw water pump using the engine flush system as installed on my engine.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

whats the procedure, connect it up turn on the hose and then turn on the motor i guess, does it work flushing the motor if the motor is off??

Yes connect it tight, turn on water, start engine. Until the engine is started, the water from the hose will not cycle through the raw water pump (obviously) so it flows backwards out through the water intake rakes on the drive (where muffs would normally be located). So no it will not flush the motor if the motor is off.

Don S

I'd like to warn Volvo-Penta owners that not all V-P engine flush systems "T" into a cooling water supply line as described by the OP. The engine flush system on my 2002 V-P 5.0 GXiB connects to the block drains on the sides of the engine. The V-P manual for my engine specifically warns to NOT run the engine because water is not supplied to the raw water pump using the engine flush system as installed on my engine.

Very good point.
It was really strange that Volvo did it like that for a couple of years. You can't run the engine because the impeller would be dry, and you can't really flush the engine because the thermostat is closed.