carborated vs fuel injection

Joe Zens

Cadet
Hi fellas!!! Got a question. Is it worth trading carborated outboard for a fuel injected outboard?? Suzuki just came out with a 15/20 Hp. Fuel injected outboards!!! I bought a 15 Hp.Df15 in 2011. It is carborated. With our goofy fuels nowadays, I don't want carb. Problems in the future. The cost to trade up is $1000.00 . I would get the 20 Hp. It is the same wieght as mine now. And is 327ccs vs. 302 ccs. Is it worth it in you guys opinion??? Thanks Joe.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: carborated vs fuel injection

Is it 2 or 4 strokes fuel inyected ? Probably the only issue would be servicing, will need a scanner, computer, whatever to fine tune if doing it yourself or send to dealer if with electronic issues and expect a nice bill, carb are simple piece of cake to adjust and take care. Can ask Suzuki maintenance costs, or what needs to be done periodically to that engine so to have it clear with respect to same carbed model.

Happy Boating

Joe Zens

Cadet

Is it 2 or 4 strokes fuel inyected ? Probably the only issue would be servicing, will need a scanner, computer, whatever to fine tune if doing it yourself or send to dealer if with electronic issues and expect a nice bill, carb are simple piece of cake to adjust and take care. Can ask Suzuki maintenance costs, or what needs to be done periodically to that engine so to have it clear with respect to same carbed model.

Happy Boating

Sea rider....thanks for responding back. It is a 4 stroke df15. Great so far....so it really isn't worth it in your opinion to trade then??? About the same amount of power, and the carb. Is STILL less of a pain and CHEAPER to take care of if it gets plugged and runs bad over fuel injection??? Thanks Joe.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

I like carbs on a marine engine. There are ways to make a carbed motor run and start in an emergency that you just can't pull off with plugged injectors.