Deck Lights

Cboat

Cadet
I want to add some lights around the inside of my 14 foot aluminum boat so that I can see what I'm doing at night. I specifically want to light up the floor area of the boat (so I can find my spilled tackle). :) Can the aluminum structure of the boat be used as a ground, or must I run separate ground wires for each light? I ask this because the original wiring does not use the aluminum as a ground. I am thinking that there must be a reson for this.

fixin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Deck Lights

A buddy of mine put out door rope lighting along the sides,I don't think you should use the boat as a ground(I don't know of anyone who has).

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

It should technically work as a ground but you would probably have problems after a few weeks with connections going bad and corrosion and such. Might as well run 2 wires to each. A trick I learned is cut your wire a few inchs long and chuck the 2 ends into a cordless drill. Hold the free ends tight with little to no slack and run the drill slowly. It will wind the wires together (you want to use different color wires) And make a neat little braid in the wire. Dont go too far you will see when you did it enough. The wire will stay together and its easier to hide. You can wrap a piece of electrical tape about 3 inchs from the ends if it looks like it might unravel but usually it doesnt.

Formula1974

Petty Officer 1st Class

oh yeah the trick only works on the flexable braided wire. :)

gsbodine

Petty Officer 1st Class

neat trick, formula. i hadn't thought of that before. thanks.

nightser

Cadet

I added some bright white LED's to my boat last summer and they work out great. Besides using far less electricty you can aim them down in the direction you want and it keeps the bugs and glare to a minimum. Just be sure to add the correct size resitor in line.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

If they are battery powered can't you just ground them to the negative terminal?

Bondo

Staff member

Ground them to the Battery........<br />Not the Boat......<br />Eletrolisis will make your boat Disappear........ Literally............