wire N cable boot?

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am finishing up a restore of a 1972 sportcraft and I want to put on a rubber boot to hide the exit hole for the controls, wires and fuel line through the motor well. I see one item available, but its PVC and looks rigid. Im thinking about making a CV joint boot fit....is there something in the market that is what Im looking for but cant find? Not willing to pay over $20 for it.

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: wire N cable boot?

yes, thats the one I saw..... but it is RUGGED VINYL ...I wanted something a bit more flexible. I have an outboard, and I know from experiance, Vinyl will crack with the constant bending from turning of the engine... but thanks for reaching out.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I have them on my boat. One for kicker and one for main. Trust me they won't crack for many years. How many? Don't know only had them for 5 years.

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

really.... never cracked/? For a few $$ I might give it a try :)

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

No cracks yet and still feel nice and soft. Just took a look when I put the boat away for the winter. Also it was nice that when I added extra stuff and cut the tie wrap it was easy to just put another one in and keep everything tight. They are not waterpfoof but do a pretty good job. Now that I think about I have three, one is just for the steering cable.

bigheaded5

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you again for your advice. I guess im stuck in my mindset and wanted rubber. I took a ride just now to my local marine store...they had a 3" rubber boot for $5 and a 6" rubber boot for $9

z boot.jpg