Ohhh the NOISE!!!!!!

arfaname

Seaman
Hi all,

Some time ago I posted a thread on my Berty repower. It was the best thing I ever did and its still going strong. Love it to bits..

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=385589&highlight=bertram+20

EXCEPT THE NOISE!!!!!!

I decided on thru hull exhausts, and like anybody else (so it seems) who decided this would be a good idea, I now regret it. My main motivation for this was the hideous price they wanted for a Y pipe here in Aus and also the lack of room (very narrow bilge) so thru hull it was..

So here I am with a fishing boat that sounds like a Nascar and two whopping exhaust holes in the back of my boat.

My conundrum starts here.

I stuck with the original 270/280 transom shield and simply hung the 290 drive off it. My existing shield has no relief ports in it and is currently blocked off at the exhaust port. What I would like to know is a few of things from those in the know.

1: Where do the relief ports actually vent to on the exterior of the transom shield or do they just finish bellow the bellow and thats it?

2: Can a VP260 run on a no relief port Y pipe?

3: Can a VP360 run on a single relief port Y pipe?

4: Can I simply drill out my existing transom shield to accomodate relief ports 1 or 2?

5: Would a stainless steel welded custom Y pipe withstand the heating and cooling effects in a wet exhaust?

I am very keen to get the exhaust back through the leg but no so keen as to buy a whole new transom shield and Y pipe. I fancy myself as pretty handy and can accomodate most any ideas. Nothings impossible.

Thanks in advance gents.

Sean

captmello

Captain
Re: Ohhh the NOISE!!!!!!

Nice boat! I'll try to help...

1. The relief port go through the transom shield on either side of the hole where the base of the y pipe goes through the transom shield. Once through the transom shield, the rubber elbows that make the seal at the transom shield and route the water through the shield then make a 90 deg turn and exit the side of the transom shield.
in this pic, you can see the black hose that exits the side of my transom shield.
Untitled-1.jpg

2. I can't answer whether or not you can run without relief ports.

3. I believe volvo did use a single relief port on one or two models, but most v8's had two ports.

4. I think you could drill the transom shield to accommodate the relief ports but I've never tried.

5. I think stainless would work on the wet exhaust but again, never tried it.

I wonder if it would be easier/cheaper to add some kind of a muffler system instead...

Good luck!! Looking forward to seeing how you do this.

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

I second the muffler idea, Not sure what is available but it would be a lot easier if you can find something.

LK

arfaname

Seaman

Thanks very much for such quick replies fellas.

I have very much considered the muffler idea but the battle for room is my biggest hurdle. The process to purchase and install the Y pipe is relatively simple as I have just pulled the engine to replace the intermediate bearings in the flywheel cover. Today i thought I'd take a couple of pics for reference and this led to curiosity. I decided to remove the plate we used to seal the exhaust flange. I have no fear that it was ever going to leak as when I removed it, A RELIEF PORT APPEARED.. LOL .. it was holding on that well that it pulled out a rubber plug that had been installed and painted over where a relief port should live.

Soooo,,,, Im back in the game.

I guess now the most important question,

Which exhaust Y pipe can I use that is single relief port to enable me to plumb the AQ260/350 V8 exhaust through the leg?

Pics to come shortly.

captmello

Captain

That Y pipe is incomplete. Looks like it has been cut off. too bad. I think your motor would work with the single idle relief, but I'm no expert, nor have I done it myself...Those single relief style are rare. Here is the most common.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta-Exhaust-Y-Pipe-275-280-285-/150878915583?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2321158bff&vxp=mtr

Note this one here is for an aq240, ford 351, one idle relief, but doesn't have the bend in it that the sbc motors use...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-Penta-240A-V8-Y-Pipe-835897-/180992345088?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2a23fc0400&vxp=mtr

after looking some more, Perhaps the one you found was for a different type of manifold/cooling system. It has a unique intake on the engine side, that others don't have.

Last edited:

captmello

Captain

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Volvo-penta-270-SB-Chevy-Chris-Craft-QLV-307-Marine-Exhaust-Y-Pipe-/300722027873?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item46046dfd61&vxp=mtr

Ok, here's the answer. Back in the old days Volvo sold outdrives the builders who where installing their own engines and labeling them Chris Craft engines, etc, we see a lot of old Glastrons with volvo outdrives, but the rest is different.
More info than you needed...

The y pipe I linked, is the correct part number for the aq260A

arfaname

Seaman

Thanks for all the links Captmello.

To work backward:

The last link you posted is good and a couple of days back I tried to contact this fella. Unfortunatly it says he isn't accepting messages. The only problem I have with that one is that it doesn't seem to have any flange protruding through the shield allowing fitment of a bellow. perhaps you could shed some light on this???

The previous with the 240A link is a good option for the flange but another problem I face is a narrow bilge. What I will be doing, no matter which Y I get is cutting it way down to within 6 inches of the flange to accomodate flexible exhaust hose back to the risers. Because of the odd "squarish" shape of the 240A Y I wont be able to fit flexible hoses down that low.

And the previous 275 280 285 Y pipe poses the same problem with the odd shape down low stopping me from fitting round hoses to the cut off ends.

The first one I posted seems like it will fit and I will simply cut it just above the couple of small square cast blocks on it. What I am unsure of is where does the port go to that shows in the engine side of the Y? Does it go through to the relief port? is it seperate? Where should it be plumbed to on the engine side?

Thanks for all your help so far Captmello. Im determined to make this happen.. :)

jfalco

Petty Officer 3rd Class

just a suggestion here. they make covers that go over the exhaust outlets at the transom and direct the exhaust into the water, this should quiet her down, i have seen some larger cruisers with them on years ago, not sure if they are still available, good luck!

captmello

Captain

Now I see what you're doing...I agree that the first one you posted will be the best choice if you plan to cut and attach a flex pipe.

The flange to accept the exhaust bellows is necessary but the pic of the y pipe in your first link is hard to see. It looks like the one i linked without the flange, but appears to have some type of flange. Maybe the seller could give you a better photo. The seller may also be able to tell you what the intake on the engine side is for. Perhaps it could be simply plugged.

arfaname

Seaman

Well I have managed to get in contact with the seller and the first one seems the go and looks like it will fit. I can land it here in Aus for $300 and with the flex piping should be out of it for under $500. If its as quiet as I remember my last V8 Volvo I'll be wrapped. I'll keep you posted as I go. It will be a couple of weeks or so before I even see the part so I'll report back in a month or so. Thanks guys. Stay tuned.