no gauges

michealcroak

Cadet
I have a 1989 Johnson 90 (j90tlcem) no gauges in my boat but this motor didn't originally come on the boat. My question is did this motor have a tach and speedo and if not can I add 1 and is it hard also did it have a charger for the battery I could not find a rectifier on it any help is appretiated

Haffiman

Commander
Re: no gauges

Came originally with a tach ind trim instrument. R A GPS is probably cheaper and much better that the water pressure log. Rectifier/regulator should be just behind/under the flywheel in the block.

michealcroak

Cadet

So the gps will tell me my speed but what about my rpms? I would like to know if I'm getting optimal performance from my motor and was was told I would need to know my rpms. I do not have a trim guage in my boat either I usually just run it all the way down . Should I get 1? This is my first boat 1990 parson 150 and I plan on having it for awhile so I won't to make sure I'm running her right

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

So the gps will tell me my speed but what about my rpms? I would like to know if I'm getting optimal performance from my motor and was was told I would need to know my rpms. I do not have a trim guage in my boat either I usually just run it all the way down . Should I get 1? This is my first boat 1990 parson 150 and I plan on having it for awhile so I won't to make sure I'm running her right

The tach on my 1988 plugs into the 3 pin connector on the control box under the key. You likely have a trim sender so hooking up a trim guage is very simple. I have a trim guage on mine but I've never bothered wiring it up because on an outboard they really serve no purpose. Trim is somthing that is adjusted based upon current conditions, that being said, there isn't a specific position that is always optimal. I adjust mine by trimming out slowly till the boat starts to porpoise then trim in just to the point where the porpoising stops. Also, you dont want the motor trimmed in all the way when taking off since this will likely increase the time and effort to get on plane.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

Check out the tachs like the Tinytach. Easy to install and will work on any motor.
can be hand held or installed. They have a web site.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Most engines are wired for a tachometer. You will need an OB type tach and look for a set of three wires together (black, purple and grey). These are for ground, +12VDC and tach sender respectively.

michealcroak

Cadet

Thanks everybbody I checked out the tiny tach and it seemed like it was for 1 or 2 cylinders I did like hpw it had the hr meter I think ill go with the original replacement if I can find 1 I think it plugs into my control lever box