old evinrude trolling motor project

i have a old 24v evinrude foot pedal trolling motor and the model number has worn off think its a 86-88 model but im not sure. it has 4 wires going down the pipe to the motor green/white, green, red, black. now i know this is going to sound weird but can i run this motor backwards with the right wiring combination. im hoping that its just a standard brush type motor, i only plan to use full speed on 24v so all other wires will be deleted

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: old evinrude trolling motor project

Yes -- but why run it in reverse. Propeller blades are terribly inefficient in reverse.

thanks sivertips. i mounted the trolling motor to a outboard transom mount on a kids pond boat so it will no longer turn 360? it only turns like a outboard now so its safer on the kids to be able to reverse than to stand up to push them selfs backwards with a paddle

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

thanks sivertips. i mounted the trolling motor to a outboard transom mount on a kids pond boat so it will no longer turn 360? it only turns like a outboard now so its safer on the kids to be able to reverse than to stand up to push them selfs backwards with a paddle

So you are saying that the motor from OEM did not have a reverse feature, only speeds forward???

Although totally unfamiliar with that electric motor, the four wires you mention suggest to me that it did have reverse that was switched from the OEM tiller handle. If that is the case you will need to either find a way to use the factory control from a remote location (which doesn't seem hard) or create a "cleaner" installation by utilizing a switch rated for the amps and voltage you are using.

The advantage of using the factory control (if it indeed has one capable of F/off/R) is the factor of variable speed control. A switch is on/off- full throttle and allota amps. The factory control could be remote mounted and affixed with a shop-made device to be run from the helm like a "real" boat and that would be educational.

Hopefully not being too assumptive here; to me, cutting up the shaft on that old trolling motor, fabricating a steering control, extending the wires to the OEM head unit, and fabricating a control for the "throttle" doesn't feel daunting. I am assuming that this basic fabrication would be be within your grasp. I hope this project is successful and rewarding!

the motor was off a foot pedal control so they dont have reverse normally as they can turn 360?. i found out after i tore the pedal down that there are 3 windings in the motor and the speed selector picks which winding gets power or its done on how many brushes get power but either way that doesnt affect what i needed to work out. so black (negative) and one color wire is all that i require. there maybe diodes in the motor so i will have to test to make sure i can reverse the motor off at least one set of wires. throttle is going to be a on/off type for now and the wiring will be simular to a tilt/trim relay setup. in case you are wondering what im doing you can look at http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=581713&p=4009998#post4009998 the trolling motor was free so i had no problem cutting it up im just hoping it will still work...lol