Just saying hello / Introductions

jpJeremy

Recruit
Hi all,
Just saying howdy, and thanks for all of the helpful information here.

I purchased a '97 Ebbtide stern-drive about a month ago. It is my first boat. ("You bought a boat in September, in this economy?" Yes, yes, I did, and I think I got a good deal...)

So, after the usual "first outings" horror stories, all has gone well. I seem to be having some starting issues, but I am going through the troubleshooting guide. I hope to have that resolved, so that I can be ready to go for next spring.

So, howdy all, and thanks again for all the free info!

Re: Just saying hello / Introductions

Yes, welcome, and you bought your boat at the right time :) Only problem is, it makes for a short season :(
Now you can join the rest of us northeners and just dream of next spring!

jpJeremy

Recruit

Yes, welcome, and you bought your boat at the right time :) Only problem is, it makes for a short season :(
Now you can join the rest of us northeners and just dream of next spring!

Thanks fellas. I took her out alone for the first time this morning. No issues, but the local state park doesn't really have a dock/pier that is set-up for tying-off.

I am reading-up on winterization, and I think I have everything I need. Two questions, though:

1. In southern Ohio, how long can I wait before winterizing? (I enjoy simply taking the boat out in the morning, and I used to ride my motorcycle in 35 degree weather.)

Question 2. Do I need to wax/prepare the hull/exterior of the boat, or should I mainly be focused on winterizing the motor and drive?

1. As long as the temp is above 32 you can use the boat. Below 32 - it's time to Winterize:(

2. Focus on the engine/drive, but when that's done cleaning/waxing everything else is never a waste of time!

Edit. If your boat is in the water it can take overnight temps a little below 32 - our lake still has many stern drives in the water and we've had a couple of frosty nights. But, if it's outside on a trailer then Winterize before any frosts!

82rude

Rear Admiral

as long as the waters not freezing neither is your lowerunit.it gets cold in ohio?:redface:

jsimms724

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Welcome, your gona love it here ;)

beaverliner

Seaman Apprentice

good time to buy a boat, I did the same a few years ago, then I chewed my elbows throughout the winter... Welcome!

jpJeremy

Recruit

as long as the waters not freezing neither is your lowerunit.it gets cold in ohio?:redface:

Well, the cold is officially here. We are seeing temps at 35 for a couple of hours at night, so I am planning to winterize today or tomorrow. I have oil, gear oil, and RV anti-freeze. (muffs and equipment, of course) I don't think I need anything else, but I am searching for a manual / guide in book form. (The online stuff available here is nice, but I would prefer to have the book to lay in front of me.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome!

Hi again. Are you looking for a general manual for the engine, or instructions on how to Winterize?
If just winterizing, what I do is find a suitable article on-line and print it off.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Hi, welcome aboard.

jpJeremy

Recruit

Hi again. Are you looking for a general manual for the engine, or instructions on how to Winterize?
If just winterizing, what I do is find a suitable article on-line and print it off.

I found lots of help on this forum on Winterizing. I would like a general manual for my boat. I found one for the 97 Alpha I engine, but I can't seem to find a full manual for the boat itself. (I want to see the wiring, etc, for the boat itself.) Any tips on where to look?

I found lots of help on this forum on Winterizing. I would like a general manual for my boat. I found one for the 97 Alpha I engine, but I can't seem to find a full manual for the boat itself. (I want to see the wiring, etc, for the boat itself.) Any tips on where to look?

You could try the manufacturer - I think they're still in business. It's unlikely that an owners manual will cover things like wiring though :(.

bonzoscott

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome aboard Jeremy. I live in the Cincinnati area (Kings Island). I'd be willing to help ya winterize her if you still need to. Pm Me email.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

You should probably go ahead and winterize your boat. There are many ways to do this, but I'm of the school that avoids antifreezes (especially RV a/f) and drains the block by unscrewing drain plugs. Air cannot freeze. It's easily to do if you can get to the side of the motor.

A good Mercruiser repair manual is worth its weight in gold.

I would suggest you immediately get the hubs on your trailer repacked. I'd also suggest the lower unit grease be drained--looking for any milkiness or water in the catch pan. I would also have the lower unit pressure and vacuum tested to see if it needs seals (about $300 w/labor if bad).

While you're at it, change the oil and filter in the engine. Regular motor oil is okay, and you can get an oil filter at the local auto parts store. Go ahead and slap new spark plugs while your hands are dirty. And, make sure your fuel tank has a fuel additive and preferably 100% gasoline in it.