1962 Johnson Lower Unit Seal

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The lower unit splits in two halves. Can I tack the lower unit seal in place with 3m 5200 or something similar? I can not seem to get the new orange seal to stay put while I bring the halves together. Also, should I trim the seal flush with the lower unit or should I leave some that overlaps on to the side of the end piece.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1962 Johnson Lower Unit Seal

Trim the seal flush with the lower unit and use 3m-847. Don't use the 5200.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

It is actually supposed to have sealant on it. First trim it to size. You want about 1/16" overhang, and cut square, not on an angle. If it is short, and the seal does not but up to the prop shaft seal housing, you will get water intrusion. Too long though and it will buckle causing the same issue.

Also put the 847 on the bolts before torquing and around the o ring for the prop shaft seal housing.

AlTn

Commander

just to add..you can glue that spaghetti seal in place and allow it to dry before trying to join the 2 halves together...I tighten the 2 center screws down fully after tightening the 4 corner screws fully as it seems to help prevent dislodging the spaghetti seal by doing them last..don't be afraid to use a hand impact driver to get all 6 screws tight if you detect a leak when you pressure test it

reavesga

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After dry fitting all parts to make sure I understood the sequence, I used Ultra Grey from Permatex. Put a nice bead on all mating surfaces and then reassembled. Got a nice squeeze out on all seams. Snugged the screws down and now letting it fully cure. My experience is that I should get another 1/4 turn on everything. Tomorrow after the material cures. Should both of the oil fill screws have a nylon washer / seal under them?

kfa4303

Banned

yes, both the DRAIN and VENT screws should each have one white nylon washer under them. You fill the gearcase by pumping oil into the lower, DRAIN opening until oil comes out of the upper VENT opening. You can then install the VENT screw, remove the pump from the lower hole and quickly install the DRAIN screw. Don't worry if some oil comes out that's normal. Here's a little vid that may help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Re5UXmh0N4w&feature=BFa&list=PL1C8A2D94E27A1F09&index=22