Alpha I Impeller/Winterizing Question

mschmidt33

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2009 Tahoe Q5i 4.3 TKS/Alpha I. This is my first year winterizing and I asked my dad and he said just put 4 gallons of coolant in a bucket, suck it up the outdrive, pull t-stat housing and dump in another gallon?

So, I poured 4 gal into a bucket, hooked the muffs up and started her up. At about 1300rpm, I noticed I was not sucking up the coolant quickly at all, more of a slow suction into the engine. After a minute and my gauge getting close to 200F, I put an end to it flushed with water (too cool down), pulled the 5 petcocks > turned over to blow out > replaced, and then poured 3 gallons down the 6 hoses and t-stat. Thus, I think I'm protected.

Question: Should I be worried about the impeller? I was under the assumption that it would suck the coolant up? We do have a lot of sand in our lake and I run it shallow at times. Thoughts? Only 200hrs on boat.

Mike

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Re: Alpha I Impeller/Winterizing Question

So were you just running a hose from the muffs into a bucket? That won't work, and if that's what you did you may have damaged the impeller. Don't know the specifics of your boat, but you should also make sure that when you drain the block you stick a wire or something into the hole to make sure it isn't blocked. Seems dangerous to have petcocks, don't know how you'd clear them of debris. I'd be especially concerned in a shallow, sandy lake.

scarpint

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am sure I will be corrected, but the impeller doesn't really suck water more than it simply pushes it. When the lower unit is in the water, the impeller is below the water line so it's housing will fill with water. When the boat is on plane, the angle of th inlets allows water to enter. Once there, the impeller pushes water up into the cooling system.

Glaspar_Fan

Seaman

Any rubber impeller type pump should do a fine job of sucking. But I doubt any style of muffs are going to be air tight, so you will mostly be sucking air. OUCH!! If you didn't need an impeller before, you may now.

John

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would be willing to bet your impeller is toast. The good news is that it is easy to replace.

mschmidt33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Damn... guess I shouldn't have listened to my dad. You guys think it is smoked after only a minute? How do I check to see if it is toast?

theBrownskull

Chief Petty Officer

It could be toast but you will not know until it is apart. I guess it is time to take it apart and see. The impeller should be changed every 2 years or 100 hours anyway. In regards to your Dad I understand what he was saying. I have seen dealers stick the lower unit in a tub filled with anti-freeze and run it that way without the muffs on or use a bucket hooked to the muffs but have the bucket placed at a vertical height above the motor so the anti-freeze will flow.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Damn... guess I shouldn't have listened to my dad. You guys think it is smoked after only a minute? How do I check to see if it is toast?

Generally about 15 seconds running dry is all it takes and the fact it hit 200 degrees could also mean the flappers in the exhaust may also need to be checked.

If you're asking that question about how to check it, then I'd have to assume you've been getting any servicing done by a mobile mechanic or taking it to a shop. Might want to just do that again and let them do a good check of everything.

Mark

mschmidt33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I actually do all my own work, just never did this before. Any tutorials out there? Parts list?

Generally about 15 seconds running dry is all it takes and the fact it hit 200 degrees could also mean the flappers in the exhaust may also need to be checked.

If you're asking that question about how to check it, then I'd have to assume you've been getting any servicing done by a mobile mechanic or taking it to a shop. Might want to just do that again and let them do a good check of everything.

Mark

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

I believe the general rule is that either you need a hose feeding water to the impeller under pressure, or the pump should be submerged. You should assume that the impeller is toast and act accordingly. I would also check the rubber engine exhaust parts, because the uncooled exhaust may have damaged either the exhaust bellows or shutters. It's OK to listen to your dad, just make sure what he says is right before you do what he says, learned that lesson a long time ago. Good luck.;)

mschmidt33

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK will act accourdingly.

How to replace impeller? hopefully I don't have to drain the fresh gear lube I just put in...
Inspect: rubber engine exhaust parts, bellows, sutters, flappers, etc.

Learning here, help me out guys.

airshot

Rear Admiral

Do a search, tons of how to's floating around. Check youtube as well.

You do :rolleyes:

You would be most wise to download a service manual for your engine/outdrive combo, as it will answer all your questions and give you specific instructions for maintaince and repairs. If you ask real nice I am sure the good folks on here will direct you to the proper download for your engine/outdrive. No mechanical work should be done before checking the manual....at least that is my opinion, and I have been a boater for 55 years.

Airshot

brhodes

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you search you will find pictures from old posts of damaged impellers from short periods w/out water. You will also find some debate as to whether you have to add anti-freeze or you should just drain your block/cooler/etc. The thing you will not find much debate on is that winterizing on muffs is a dangerous proposition. So my opinion is change the impeller, and read the winterizing post in the DIY thread at top of forum. Good luck.

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Save the lube and put it back in, just keep it clean.