What is the best kind of marine flooring/deck covering for DOG-owning boaters?

Carpet would not easily be cleaned up should Rover ever make a mess on deck. How about vinyl or laminate as an alternative to marine carpet? Teak/wood too hefty in price.

Re: What is the best kind of marine flooring/deck covering for DOG-owning boaters?

Carpet can be cleaned if Rover has been a bad boy:( Save your money!
Do not use laminate - it doesn't like getting wet!

Rkrough

Seaman Apprentice
Re: What is the best kind of marine flooring/deck covering for DOG-owning boaters?

The Mari-deck vinyl flooring is very good IMO. I helped a friend install it on his pontoon 3 years ago and it has held up very well with heavy use. I have a fiberglass deck, for my dog I use an old 2x3 rubber backed rug where she does her "business" End of the day I take it out and hose it down.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

My cockpit carpet (dark grey) looks terrible after the dog has been on the boat. His tan fur gets all over the place and looks bad. The carpet holds up to the abuse fine, but it needs to be completely vacuumed after. A vinyl or fiberglass floor would be a better bet for cleaning.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

fiberglass. That's what boat floors (decks) are made of, since the days of painted wood. Aluminum jon boats excepted; they have aluminum floors, upon which you can put painted wood.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

So what's the time line on this boat?

Can we expect to see it anytime soon?

I like Nautolex marine vinyl.

The time line is probably sometime over the next year or so. I am doing a lot of homework before getting a future boat. I have to make sure the vessel really fits me personally and my lifestyle and will even WORK out for me. I have to work out all the logistics of boat owning and operation as well as costs.

I am well aware boats are expensive holes in the water with many potential surprise "honey-dos".

Thanks, Captain: I will look into Nautolex in case Rover is a naughty boy on deck.

OK Toon

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We have a yellow lab, so all flooring options must be of an "oatmeal" color. So the boat has oatmeal colored carpet -- helps hide his fur.