Deck coatings

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put up a post in the general catagory a couple of weeks ago but from what I have seen in the forum, this is the place to ask
I have pulled my carpet to fix the deck. I need to put something else down. The factory floor was suprisingly irregular.

I would like to paint but it may take a lot of work to get it right. Is there a coating that would have a texture similar to a truck bedliner? I would like smooth and textered v.s. sanded.

Is there a way to duplicate the factory look where is there is actually a pattern?

I would probably continue to use a carpet but I would like it to snap in. Where would I go to have the edges bound? automotive trim store? A home carpet store? Can I buy the material online? I have not seen it on the boating sites.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: Deck coatings

I have never done it but I've heard it can be done with good results. This shows & tells you how to make Patterned gelcoat like the factory. Or you can do it with epoxy and then paint it. Might be worth looking into.http://epoxyworks.com/indexprojects.html
Any upholstery shop should be able to put binding and snaps on carpet of your choice. Something you should be aware of is carpet, after a few months, will stretch and wrinkle and most people with snap in are not happy with it after it does that.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Do you have a fiberglass or aluminum boat?

There have been a couple of aluminum boat rebuilds on here that have used bed liner on their plywood decks and it looked pretty good, but if you own a 'glass boat I don't think the liner material would bond to the glassed over decking very well.

There are other products like Kiwi Grip and Tuff Coat that you may like.

Marine vinyl is a very nice deck finish that sheds water, but it's a sheet good product.

kaw550

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The boat is fiberglass. I will check them out.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Something you may want to consider about the paint on coatings is, while easy to apply... it's not always easy to make the job look good/pleasing to the eye.

I've seen some that look great, but I've seen more that looked like smeared caca-doody.

If you choose to go this route buy extra and practice with it before applying it to your boat.